Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

how does user download files from my site?

Hi all.  Am brand new user of free version.  Will this version allow me to have a download page where someone coming to my site can download files?

David Podger
Saturday, May 04, 2002

Sure.

1. Drag the file that you want to make available into CityDesk.

2. Make a CityDesk article to be your download page.

3. Insert a link into the article. Choose the file from the dropdown list at the top of the link dialog box.

4. Publish your site.

Mike Gunderloy
Saturday, May 04, 2002

Recent user and I want to figure out how good Citydesk would be for organising our corporate intranet (small company, lots of files, impossible to find).

Any easy way of importing a lot of files at once and having Citydesk automatically make a simple download page containing all the links?

I am lazy I know, but when I tried to do it with my useful programs directory, Citydesk practically crapped itself on import. When I exited out, the *.cty file was about 115 MB.

Those JDK versions can really get big.

Is there an easy way to do this (keeping the really big binaries out of the database) or should I just incrementally add the big stuff (i.e. not be so lazy)?

Anyway to generate a simple list of links from the contents of a download folder?

Richard M Conroy
Tuesday, May 14, 2002

Let me tell you how we do it at Fog Creek; this may be of interest...

We have a windows file share where any large files that people might need are stored. Because people edit these files as well as read them, a web site is not appropriate for this stuff.

Then we have an Intranet CityDesk file for all documentation. It is full of handy articles like "how to process a purchase order".

The CityDesk file does not really contain any large binary files; those are on the file share. So it's small and efficient. But it can point to anything on the file share (directory or file) using \\unc\notation; CityDesk automatically makes these into hyperlinks and clicking on them from IE does the right thing.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, May 14, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home