Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

`Size' of site?

This has probably been asked before, but I can't find any reference to it via Search.

How do I know `how big' (in terms of the 500 document limit imposed by CD) my site is?

David Ness
Friday, May 03, 2002

I guess you have the count the files yourself but this is from another forum message

"When we go to publish, we count all files and articles. (Files include anything you see in the main window that's not a folder: articles, including pictures, CSS files, whatever you stick in there). If the number exceeds the limit for your version we warn you and refuse to publish. "

TK
Friday, May 03, 2002

The most foolproof way: Count the files published to your web site, excluding "citydesk.xml". :)

If you're publishing in just one language to just one audience, there should be a 1:1 mapping between articles and published files (and of course any embedded file will be 1 file as well).

Brad Wilson
Friday, May 03, 2002

I do a preview of my site which fires off IE. Then get the folder it's previewed to in windows explorer (somewhere in your temporary path) and do a right-click > properties on it. This tells you how many files are there.

John C
Friday, May 03, 2002

Good point.  I guess on the starter and home edition a "File Count" would be a good piece of info...

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, May 03, 2002

On the full edition too. Sometimes management may ask stupid questions as: "how many pages on our site" ?

page count, file count, (by type, and total) and site weight (for our dear Isps) are valuable infos for every site manager.

Vincent Bénard
Friday, May 03, 2002

I second that !

Philippe Back
Wednesday, May 08, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home