Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Limit to size of CTY file?

Hi,
I am interested in using CityDesk and have tried out a few basic options. I note that the data for the whole web site is stored in one 'CTY' file. Is there a limit to this file, since I may end up having 50-100Mb of text/graphics?

Does any have any experience with these sorts of sizes and whether the system maxes out at some level?

Thanks for any help
Frank Mair

Frank Mair
Thursday, May 02, 2002

CityDesk doesn't do well publishing and manipulating large files. I'd HIGHLY recommend that you don't put all those media files into CityDesk, but rather maintain them separately.

Brad Wilson
Thursday, May 02, 2002

If the file doesn't change often, and its big, then just plop it on the server in a well known place once, and don't worry about it.  Otherwise you'll have to lug it around in the .cty file all the time.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, May 02, 2002

You can create an article or html file in CityDesk whose sole job it is to redirect to the actual file. This way you get all the fun benefits of linking to it from within CityDesk.

Template might look something like

<html>
<head>
META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh
CONTENT="0; URL=http://www.mysite.com/{$x.body$}">
</head>
</html>

where the body is the text link (not an href) to the file.

But I thought the question was sites with LOTS of text and images, not few large images...

MarkTAW
Thursday, May 02, 2002

Just to answer the original question...CityDesk is using the Access 2000 file format. So the maximum file size is 2 GB.

Mike Gunderloy
Saturday, May 04, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home