Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk mentioned in SDTimes

From SDTimes (http://www.sdtimes.com/news/053/special1.htm):

On the other end of the product scale is Fog Creek Software (www.fogcreek.com), which recently released its first-generation product, CityDesk Professional edition. Targeted to small organizations that don’t need the power or features of a big-iron system, it is priced at a few hundred dollars per seat. This XML-based application boils the content management process down for HTML users and doesn’t offer many of the features that corporate entities require, such as workflow, approval and automated content release and retirement.

Fog Creek CEO and founder Joel Spolsky said, “The big-iron vendors’ systems start at about a quarter of a million in software, and they have maybe a couple thousand customers. Then think of all the people you know who need Web sites with some form of content management enablement. There are probably a couple million of them. What we initially envisioned was providing small college newspapers, churches [and] clubs with an affordable solution and a lower barrier to entry. I couldn’t care less about the CNNs of the world.”

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

of course:
(a) citydesk is not exactly XML based
(b) we have automated content release and retirement, mostly
(c) i would never say "enablement" :)

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

Just curious to know the readership of this pub. Seems like an insiders' pub, i.e. vendors read it. Do customers?

It's pretty new. Every time they mention your name in it they snail-mail you a copy of the paper mag a special sticky note on the page where you are quoted. Shameless ego fulfillment. :) It puts a smile on your face, but does it help acquire customers?

Anyone know their readership stats?

Alan Armstrong
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

I don't know their readership stats, but some people have contacted us as a direct result of the article - so I know their readership is not zero :)

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, May 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home