Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Recreating .CTY file?

Victimized by hard disk crash. Yikes. Is there a way to recreate the .CTY file from the web site? Is importing the only alternative, and then recreating all variables, etc.? Please limit amount of "make a backup." I am painfully aware. Thanks!

Duncan Fitzgerald
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

Unfortunately there is no magic way to recreate the .cty file.  In a future version we might make it possible to publish the cty file itself up to the web server.  It would duplicate your storage bytes, but for some people it might be worth it for backup purposes.

Customer Service
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

That'd be a nice feature to have. Thanks.

Duncan Fitzgerald
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

I often zip my cty files and send them either from or two my work address.  Access files get pretty compressed when zipped, so it might be good to save them to CDs every week or so

Joel Goldstick
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

My .cty file contains my server password. If it were on my server, where it could be downloaded by someone else, they could get it and derive my password from it and use that to break into my server.

Steven C. Den Beste
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

Good point Steven.  We'll remember that if we come up with some solution and devise a way to fix it (perhaps by setting it to prompt for password, if you decide to publish it to the web server).

Customer Service
Wednesday, May 01, 2002

A solution would be to (optionally) publish the .cty file in a password-protected directory.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, May 02, 2002

I think the best solution would be to encrypt the .cty file before uploading it.

Steven C. Den Beste
Sunday, May 05, 2002

Gotta say I'm not clear on why this would be a good feature to have in CityDesk itself. Isn't this just one more file that you need to back up? Apologies to the original poster, but I don't expect all of my applications to maintain their own individual backup schemes.

Mike Gunderloy
Monday, May 06, 2002

My one backup disaster (it was one of my wife's Quickbook files) made me paranoid forever.  I get nervous every time I make a change.

I think a simple reminder as you close CityDesk, "Make sure you back up your CityDesk site,"  would be enough.  Or, as with Quickbooks, a little built-in compression and backup utility might keep some folks safe.

tk
Monday, May 06, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home