Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Today I needed Italics in a headline

Feature request: The ability to apply formatting to the properties of articles.

Today I'm using a headline that contains ship names that I'd like to italicize.  Might be more common for folks to include book titles in a headline.

I guess the solution is to use an extra field as the headline but I'm a little far down the road to change it on this site:
http://members.tripod.com/mackenziegregory/log/macslog/TheescapeoftheGermanbattl.html

tk
Friday, April 26, 2002

Why not add it in the template or article as <i>{$.headline$}</i> or use css.

MarkTAW
Friday, April 26, 2002

I could do that, but I only need a few words (the names of two ships in this case) of the headline to be italicized rather than the whole headline.

tk
Friday, April 26, 2002

Could you muck about inside the cty file if this is just a one time thing?

Joel Goldstick
Friday, April 26, 2002

Not a life and death matter.  Mac will publish articles from time to time.  It's probably natural to italicize a ship's name once in a while as we can in articles and extra fields.

I could certainly tell him to type the article title into the extra1 field, format it however he likes, and use the script to pull article titles from that field.  It's just that the names and purposes of the fields in the Properties page are meaningful to most folks.

A common case might be a headline: "Reivew of Italicize-or-underline-this-book-title by Jane Doe"

tk
Friday, April 26, 2002

After my comment above, I tried my idea out -- it didn't work.  It printed: blah <i>blah<i> instead. 

I've noticed there seems to be interesting in making every field 'html-able'

Joel Goldstick
Friday, April 26, 2002

Create some variables:

italic_start: <i>
italic_end: </i>

and then use this in your headline:

Crossing the Ocean on the {$.italic_start$}Titanic{$.italic_end$}

Jim Corban
Friday, April 26, 2002

Jim's solution works, but has a clunky side-effect (for me, at least). I use the headline as the page title. When the headline appears as part of the page it comes out italicized. But when it appears inside the <title> tags, the <i> appears in the title of the browser window.

Without adding some kind of very special handling in citydesk, I think the only ways around this problem are:

- Use extra1 like Terry described above.
- Don't use headline for the <title>.

Brian St. Pierre
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home