Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Timezone

How can I display timestamps in a timezone other than GMT? My timestamps are in GMT, but I'd like them to be in Central Standard Time.

My apologies if this topic has already been discussed to death. I looked and couldn't find it.

Roman Zabicki
Wednesday, April 24, 2002

Is your computer date/time control panel set to the CST time zone?  Or is it set to GMT?

Customer Service

It's set to Central time. In my earlier post I mentioned Central Standard Time, but mine is actually set to Central Daylight Time. Same idea, though.

Roman Zabicki

We don't really have a user interface for entering times (note that the fileddate variable uses a time, but you can't set it, just the day)... so we need to look more into correcting this for a future version.  I guess I'd say the behavior of time in CD is "unknown", and obviously not working as you expected.

Thanks for the report...

Customer Service
Friday, April 26, 2002

For reasons I find hard to fathom, many scripting programs such as CD have trouble with this problem. A couple of observations deserve to be made:

(1) Presenting time without specifying zone is next to useless as the Web is truly world-wide. Indeed, there can't be much of a `point' in presenting a time unless the zone is known (or can be safely inferred)---what point could it serve.
    (2) It should probably be made clear what `time' purports to mark. Is it the `time' that an article was originally filed. Or the time that it was last updated. Is it the `time' at the site of the writer, or at the site of the `publishing authority'. Whatever it is, probably it either ought to be clear or there's not much of a point in presenting it.

I personally like `local time (with zone) of last edit at writer's site' when timestamping an article, but YMMV, of course.

David Ness
Friday, May 03, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home