Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Linking or embedding files

When I add a file to my CityDesk site it seems to embed it in the site so in order to update I need to remove it, add it back then go and repair the broken links.

Is there any way to force CityDesk to link to the file when updating?

Tony E
Monday, April 22, 2002

You can just edit these files by using "Open-with."  Select the file you want to edit and right-click.  Or use "File-Open Item."  Set up the editors you want with "Open-with-Choose Program."

With "choose program" I've added MsWord, Excel, image editors, and several other programs.  It works well.

TK
Monday, April 22, 2002

I can't edit it as it is a compiled file produced by another application, I just want the updating to be automatic.

Tony E
Monday, April 22, 2002

When you link to the file, use an absolute link rather than a CityDesk magic name.

E.g. if the file is "foo.exe", use a link like
<a href="foo.exe"> to point to it, rather than <a href="PTMFOGxxxx.exe"> which would break when the file was reimported.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, April 22, 2002

I agree that not being able to easily replace files w/o "magic name" links breaking is a serious drawback, but I guess we'll have to wait till version 2.x.

Example: I want to create an article that links to a file. Someone can bookmark that article as a permenant link to the file to share with other people. That article also gets pulled into a list of documents, an index of documents. With a relative link, the link will break if that index is in a different directory.

You should be able to replace a file easily with another, possibly even with document with a different name without breaking magic links.

And as I stated before, files should have keywords, headlines and other similar stuff. I trust Fog to come up with an elegant solution.

MarkTAW
Monday, April 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home