Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk Publish: Cannot delete file...

[Starter Edition Version 1.0.29, Build Date: 20020401A]
FTP Server at ISP's end: "wu-2.5.0(1)"

This happens with me:

1. I add a file, say foo.html to my CityDesk site (say as http://bar.com/foo.html)
2. I publish. This happens without error.
3. I delete foo.html from my CityDesk site.
4. I click publish again.

Expected: The Publish operation should succeed again.

Actual: CityDesk says: cannot delete file - server returned extended information: 550 Cannot delete /foo.html - no such file or directory.

All publish requests subsequently get stuck at this point.

Workaround:
Exit CityDesk (dunno why, but it helps)
Use an ftp client, go to your site
Delete foo.html manually (optional)
Delete citydesk.xml (must!)
Start CityDesk and painfully republish :-(

Comments:

I think this is happening because I am on a virtual host and my userspace looks like this (sorry for the ASCII art):

/
|+----[] chaoszone.org/
          |+----[] images/
          |+----[] foo.html
          |+----[] index.html
          |+----[] citydesk.xml

And CityDesk is trying to delete /foo.html. It should probably chdir() to chaoszone.org first. Of course, this is just guesswork.

Would anyone here have a similar experience?

Thanks
Prasenjeet
http://www.chaoszone.org/

Prasenjeet Dutta
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

You probably need to change the subdirectory on your publish location to be /chaoszone.org...  What is it set to now?

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Ouch, the ASCII art has been mangled :-( . Okay, here's an image which shows what the layout looks like:

http://www.chaoszone.org/images/dirlayout.gif

Prasenjeet

Prasenjeet Dutta
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

> What is it set to now?

Blank! Oops, silly me! :-(

Prasenjeet Dutta
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

I've also seen this. I deleted some files (manually, behind the back of citydesk) on the server. Then I went to publish them and got the same "Can't Delete" error. Unfortunately, this boogers up the publishing and CD doesn't try to publish the rest of the files. What I ended up doing to work around this was create 0-length files as placeholders for the files that I had deleted. CD saw that the checksums didn't match, deleted the old files, wrote the new ones, and life was good once again.

Brian St. Pierre
Thursday, April 18, 2002

CD shouldn't stop publishing if the file its trying to delete isn't there.  Your ftp server is probably configured to end the connection if you try to delete a file that isn't there... Some other people also have this ftp server configuration which is weird...

You can test this out by ftp'ing to the server from the command line, issuing a DEL randomfile, and then an LS.  if the LS doesn't work AFTER the DEL nonexistantfile, then thats whats happening...

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, April 18, 2002

Err.  I apologize... it is a "bug"... we are looking at the return code for the delete and stopping if its not there...

Schedule for fix in a future version.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, April 18, 2002

Michael,

When will the bug you referred to be fixed?

I find that I follow the work around suggested and the whole site ends up being published again... 25mb of pdfs and all!

I need to do a major overhall of the site and am dreading it.

Greg Russell
Tuesday, July 16, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home