Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Publish Problems (FTP)

Since I installed SP1, CityDesk has often republished all the files on my site, even though very few of them actually changed.

I haven't been able to find a definite pattern as to when this happens, but I have noticed it after copying the .cty file between computers (I often switch between my work and personal PC). One is Win98SE and the other is Win2K, if that helps.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? It's quite frustrating on a dial-up connection!

Darren Collins
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Known reasons for this problem are:

CityDesk doesn't know where to find the citydesk.xml file. To fix this, specify the root path to your site properly in the "location."

You're using an old verson of CityDesk and clicking on "save and publish" from within an article. To fix this, simply get the latest version of CityDesk.

Mark W
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Like Mark said... Make sure BOTH CityDesk apps are SP1.
Check in the About dialog for 1.0.27 or 1.0.29... if it says 1.0.23 you should upgrade...

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my first message. Both machines have SP1, both can see the XML file properly, and both are set to publish only changed articles.

To complicate things further, neither machine publishes the whole site *every* time I publish. I've experimented a little today, and they mainly seem to be doing it the first time I publish after copying the .cty file from the other machine.

This is especially annoying because my site has a few hundred pages now, and if an upload times out then you have to start over and upload it all again. What ever happened to that upload checkpoint idea, Joel? Is it slated for a future release? Or perhaps you could add a Retry option when a 'put' fails, so that you don't lose where you're up to?

I'll look into this some more and post back any information I discover.

Darren Collins
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

I just noticed that you mentioned version 1.0.29 above. I've got 1.0.27 of the Home edition. Did I miss a patch or something?

Darren Collins
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

There is a 1.29.

If you move a file to another machine doesn't citydesk change the
<!-- Published by Fog Creek Software CityDesk JXLXAXFNKLTGDDMH/15B9A3A8/7 -->

thing?  Maybe that accounts for some of the republish stuff.

tk
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking Terry.

I just had a look at the two XML files that were generated, and the CRCs have all changed even though the underlying articles haven't. e.g.

Home machine (Win98SE):
<File CRC="-697904884">Blog\fog0000000108.html</File>

Work machine (Win2K):
<File CRC="-109400443">Blog\fog0000000108.html</File>

So Fog Creek Guys: is Terry right? Is the "Published by..." gloop messing up my CRCs? I never noticed this problem pre-SP1 (that's not to say it wasn't there!), and I've been publishing from both locations since the start of this year.

If you want to have a look, my site is www.pool-room.com.

Darren Collins
Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Just an idea. Could it be NTFS v. regular Windows file systems creating different checksums?

Mark W
Wednesday, April 17, 2002

Hmm. Maybe I'm wrong... checksums should be independant of file system... I tend to shoot from the hip when troubleshooting. I like Terry's theory, have you been able to confirm it?

Mark W
Friday, April 19, 2002

I'll try to test this over the weekend and report back.

Another question for the Fog Creek guys: If I store the .cty file in the same path on both my work and home PC, will the Fog Creek gloop be the same in the two pages generated from the same article? This could be what I'm doing wrong - I've got them in different paths on the two machines.

Darren Collins
Friday, April 19, 2002

I think Terry's got it right... since the path changed CityDesk changes the comment in the first line of code, which results in a different CRC and the whole file has to be republished.

Just using the same path won't fix it. Have a look at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fog Creek Software\CityDesk\Sites

This is CityDesk's mapping of magic site names to paths. (It's done this way so that no information about your computer setup is leaked out to the world at large in the CityDesk comment).

If you really want to be able to move a CTY back and forth, you can mess with the registry so the same magic 8 digit hex number maps to the CityDesk file on each machine.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, April 19, 2002

Also look at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fog Creek Software\CityDesk\Settings\InstallationID which provides a unique ID for every machine where CityDesk is installed. You would also have to get these to match to get the same comment generated for both files...

Joel Spolsky
Friday, April 19, 2002

Thanks for that, Joel. I'll try it this week when I get some spare time.

One question - how does CityDesk work when you've got multiple contributors using CityDesk Pro? If Bill adds an article and hits Publish Site, then Mary modifies another article and hits Publish Site, will Mary end up FTPing every article again because her checksums are different to Bill's?

Am I only having this problem because I'm using the Home version?

Darren Collins
Sunday, April 21, 2002

It's basically a bug in the multiuser version too. We shouldn't be including that first line of the comment in the CRC.

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, April 21, 2002

Cool. I've now got a good understanding of what's going on, so I can work around it.

Darren Collins
Sunday, April 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home