Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Tbody tags?

Hiya. I'm working on porting a fairly large site into CityDesk. Parts are easy, parts are workarounds until some of the features I'm hoping 2.0 has are released.

I imported a folder in to CD with just HTML files and a few images. I went into one of the HTML files to see what it looked like, whether or not the client would be able to edit it if they had their own version of CD and found that flipping back and forth between the Normal and HTML views, it didn't add a <tbody> tag... I thought this was something inhereted from MS's DHTMLEdit. Why does it not insert them in a HTML file but not an article?

On another, related note, rumour has it that DHTMLEdit can be configured to write B and I instead of STRONG and EM...

Mark W
Thursday, April 11, 2002

Uhhh, don't you want it to write STRONG and EM?

Maury Markowitz
Monday, April 15, 2002

Err.... you know, I'm not sure. Do <strong> and <em> really render the same as <b> and <i> on every browser so that it won't interfere existing pages that use <b> and <i> ?

Mark W
Monday, April 15, 2002

strong and em are preferred html.  I just checked them with ie6 ns6 and o6.  Strong is bold in each.  Em is italic in each.  Em within strong is bold and italic.

The reason its better to use strong and em is that you can choose how you want to show those features with stylesheets.  Its the structure vs. presentation argument.

Joel Goldstick
Monday, April 15, 2002

I'm familiar with HTML4, but since we're using browsers around here that are from 1996, I use opera at home (which is the most likely to have done this right) and I know of a half dozen other browsers on various platforms... I guess any browser post, what, 1996 would do this right though... It's one of those things that I think should be like X but until I can comfirm it is I like to err on the side of the old ways.

Mark W
Monday, April 15, 2002

strong and em are older than B and I. You won't have any problems with them.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, April 19, 2002

heh. really? damn, I should know that.

Mark W
Saturday, April 20, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home