Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk as a weblog tool

Hello,

I'm keeping a small weblog with CityDesk and for the most part it works perfectly.
There's one problem however which I can't seem to solve.
Weekdays I work from my office PC, and on weekends I usually stay home. Transferring the .cty file however is a major inconvenience. Since it's quite small (and gets even smaller with a little bit of compression), it's not a major problem to upload/download it from the web host where the weblog resides. Can somebody think of a way to automate this via CityDesk, so that with each publishing the .cty file gets uploaded?

Ivan-Assen Ivanov
Thursday, April 11, 2002

Insert -> File.  Browse for your .cty file and click OK.  Now the file is part of you site. 

I haven't tested to see if this works, but it seems like it would. 

Chris Rickwood
Thursday, April 11, 2002

Chris, this isn't an automatic, however, you still have to manually add it to and delete it from your site every time you upload/download it. You also have to remember to compact your site every time you delete one.

The logic involved here nearly reaches that star-trekian "space time paradox" - if you add the citydesk file to the citydesk file than the file within the file is no longer representative of the current file...

Mark W
Thursday, April 11, 2002

Perhaps, an idea for 2.x - external assettes. Sort of like Oracle's IFS. You keep a file in a directory somewhere and tell CityDesk that the file is there (c:\My Documents\mysite.cty).

In CityDesk you keep a token identifier (so you can use magicname, etc.) to it, but it stays outside of CityDesk. I realize this can be accomplished with straight links, but this would allow you to move it around in the directory structure in CityDesk w/o moving the file around on your hard drive.

CityDesk then uploads it automatically with the site, perhaps even doing a filesize diff with citydesk.xml to determine whether or not it needs to be uploaded.

Mark W
Thursday, April 11, 2002

"The logic involved here nearly reaches that star-trekian "space time paradox" - if you add the citydesk file to the citydesk file than the file within the file is no longer representative of the current file... "

Sounds like a strange loop to me....  ;-)

Richard Caetano
Thursday, April 11, 2002

This isn't all that great a solution.  My main PC is in the bedroom office and I get up earlier than "she who must needs her sleep."  Each morning I read several online newspapers on the other house PC and publish several summaries on a temporary site.

Once back downstairs I copy them from the temporary site into the the "real" site.  I usually decide not to publish half the stuff that I orginally published on the temporary site so the process gives me a little time to think about it and do some editing.  The delay in publishing to the real site is no big deal for me.

Sometimes it's just easier for me to type the content into an email and send it to myself.  It's easier than thinking about space-time paradoxes and stuff.

tk
Thursday, April 11, 2002

"Sometimes it's just easier for me to type the content into an email and send it to myself. It's easier than thinking about space-time paradoxes and stuff."

I agree. I just blog at home, but this is no substitute for a web based interface, or even an e-mail it in and it gets posted when it receives it interface, but both of those solutions require server based software, or even a few scripts on a PC that never shuts down.

I think my vacation example is ideal. Say you're travelling and you don't have a laptop. How do you update your weblog? Two weeks of family not being able to visit your site and not see what you're up to. I used to send mass mails to all my friends before I knew what a Blog was (perhaps before the term blog was invented), but there was no archive, I had to know you wanted to know to add you to the list.

But without something on a server, I just don't know that you can update while away from home.

If you have access to 2 computers, it would be nice to be able to sync two CityDesk files (for multiple reasons, integrating two existing sites, etc.), or even upload the CityDesk file as part of the upload process.

Mark W
Friday, April 12, 2002

Haha, yes I thought about the endless recursive loop my solution might cause.  As you all pointed out, it will not work anyway.  I forgot point that the cty file would be stored in the database and you would have to edit the copy in the database for it to be republished to the site.

Chris Rickwood
Friday, April 12, 2002

I was thinking about this, and it's kind of like not being able to hot sync your palm pilot/handspring/sony clie (have you seen the new one... sick) while you're away.

How do you sync your Palm with your PC while you're away from home for extended periods of time?

How about CityDesk for Palm. Okay maybe not.

Mark W
Friday, April 12, 2002

Here's an idea... put the .cty file on an ftp server and use something like Dreamweaver's check in-check out system to download the file when you need it, and upload it when you're done. Then there's only 'one' file and it stays in sync with itself.

Mark W
Friday, April 12, 2002

unless this *is* what you're doing...

Mark W
Friday, April 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home