Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Crash right after install...help!

Hi folks,
I installed the latest version of CityDesk and then ran it.  It gave me the error reporting screen, with:

Invalid procedure call or argument:5
cRegistry:Get value:1150

I sent the report and rebooted, tried it again, and got the same problem.

Anybody else have this problem or have any suggestions?

Gary

Gary Loescher
Tuesday, April 09, 2002

Very strange.  Never seen this before.  Maybe your registry is corrupt?  Try deleting the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fog Creek Software.

The line that its complaining about is just a simple VB string call (actually the function String$) so there is also the possibility that the VB runtime is installed incorrectly on your computer.

Michael H. Pryor
Wednesday, April 10, 2002

Actually, I just realized my reply was a bunch of geek speak, so if it doesn't make sense, just let me know..

Michael H. Pryor

Thanks Michael!
I'm a geek so I understand geek speak. :)

Here's what I did:
1. cleaned up the Registry with a cleaner program
2. deleted the key you suggested
3. re-installed the VB runtime from VBRun60sp4.exe
4. uninstalled CityDesk, and re-downloaded it (in case the install was corrupt)
5. rebooted, then shut down extraneous programs
6. re-installed it...

Ack!  I still got the same error message.  Weirdness.  Any other ideas?  I'm running Win2k SP2.

Gary

Gary Loescher

Ouch!  You did everything I could possibly imagine doing to fix the problem. I'm at a loss...

Michael H. Pryor

Check your email...

Michael H. Pryor

Anyone following this thread--Michael figured out what the problem was in record time.  Kudos to him! 

Apparently the .gif file type association disappeared from my registry somehow, so when CityDesk tried to find an icon to use to represent a gif, there wasn't anything there.

I re-associated it through Windows Explorer (to Fireworks in this case) and everything works fine now.  Off to play with CityDesk...

Gary Loescher

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home