Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Netscape 4.79 vs. I.E.

In initial use of Citydesk, using the "Simple" template, I observe that Netscape 4.79 will not display correctly.  Internet Explorer is fine.  Citydesk customer service says Netscape does not handle scripts properly.  Anyone encounter this before?

Chuck Cantoni
Friday, April 05, 2002

Chuck,

Not to confuse anyone, its possible that Netscape doesn't support the "styles" correctly (not "scripts").

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, April 05, 2002

It takes work, but you can get a site to look good using Style Sheets in both Netscape and IE - I have to do it all the time at work beacuse Netscape comes standard with our computers (since 1996) and 95% of our viewing population still uses it.

IMHO this shows the IE bias Fog Creek has. On the other hand, general internet stats will show that 95% of the users are now on IE and they're only 'alienating' a small percentage of the population. Lots of designers develop only for IE - it's more forgiving, does more, and most people use it.

I happen to use Netscape a lot at work (I'm using it right now) and I notice that the styles on Fog Creek sites are funky, but liveable.

Mark W
Friday, April 05, 2002

I'm not going to argue there isn't an IE bias, its a requirement for installation, BUT the simple template does display correctly using Mozilla...

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, April 05, 2002

Yeah I have noticed the same problem.
I have just passed a page that uses the Simple template to http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ and that part of the code validated properly.

There were many other problems though, but I think the validator is a bit more picky than most browsers.

S Marcotte
Friday, April 05, 2002

There is a relevant bug in Citydesk. I've mentioned it before, but I think it has gone unnoticed. The size of pictures is not correct when you resize a picture in the editor. When you edit its propoerties it will be ok afterwards.

See  Bug: Browser compatibility/img tag for a more detailed description. It affects Netscape version 3 and 4 and has got to do with limited style capabilities of the browser.

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, April 09, 2002

thanks for that bug report, I added it to our database.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, April 09, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home