Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Tags in variables

Tags in variables
Warning: Do not put first or last part of a tag in CD-variables. A <body> inside a variable called PageTop for example will cause CD to do it’s best to repair a failure that isn’t there.
[html]
[head]…[/head]
{$.PageTop$}    '(including the [body]-tag)
….
[/body]
[/html]

will be changed to:

[body]

{$.PageTop$}
[/body]
[/html][/body]

Not CD’s fault, but it took me a while to figure out what was happening to my pages.

CD is really a great program – one of the very, very few (since 1985) that has actually saved me time from day one.

Jorgen Brenting
Friday, April 05, 2002

If you never view this page in "Normal" view, does this still happen?

Mark W
Friday, April 05, 2002

PS, you can use <html> tags here.

Mark W
Friday, April 05, 2002

It's because the Normal view (DHTMLEdit control) wants the html to appear semi-correct.  If you do all your editing in Source View, you CAN put html in variables.
Its just that when you switch to normal view and your document doesn't have a start body tag, the DHTMLEdit control will happily insert one for you (otherwise it can't display the document).

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, April 05, 2002

No it does not. I discovered this when I was printing the layout of the template from Normal view.  I write in html, but you should be able to switch back and forth in my opinion. I had to change a lot of already uploaded pages – they showed up all right in IE6 without the <html><head> tag and with extra body-tags inserted, but older browsers and crawlers will probably choke on such a page.

And of course: the reason that I put half a tag in a variable in the first place still exists so I would love this bug-let (?) to be fixed.

Jorgen Brenting
Friday, April 05, 2002

I put loads of HTML in variables- no problem.  Never "body" though.  Thanks for the warning.

tk
Friday, April 05, 2002

Hmm.. maybe I'm not sure what you are saying..

When you say "No, it does not."  what do you mean?

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, April 05, 2002

I answered the question from Mark W. :-) Didn’t expect you to be so fast.

Jorgen Brenting
Friday, April 05, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home