Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

tweaking Citydesk..

Since it seems "en vogue" to tweak CD's database or even write nifty little tools for playing around with it...;-)
I started something simular myself. The thing is written in C# entirely and you can find the first screenshots here:

http://www.brosinski.com/tweakcty/tweakcty1.jpg

http://www.brosinski.com/tweakcty/tweakcty2.jpg

It will be freeware once I release it. Aehm..speaking of releasing. I can always use some help, so if anybody would like to join me I'll be more than pleased. :)
Feature requests are welcome too.

Features so far:

- browse the whole site in a convenient tree
- watch and save images
- show "deleted" files and "undelete" them if possible
- edit and save articles, both in pure html and in DHTML Edit Control
some other nice things I'm working on currently.

Stephan
Wednesday, April 03, 2002

Umm, so why are you doing this?  So far it looks like a poor mans city desk.  I thought the idea of playing with the database was to do something citydesk didn't do. 

Colin Newell

Yeah, pretty odd. Doesn't look like it extends CD at all.

pb

Yes a bit odd. And why in C# . LOL. If I did want to work on it it would be a humongous download from microsoft.com for the framework of C#

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rqcompiler
Like RapidQ Basic? Too bad, it's dead. Why? It was bought by REALBASIC. So, how can it be advanced? How can it be fixed, new features added, etc? Well, we're making our own compiler to do just that. Join on in and write a compiler that compiles current Rapidq code and the extended language. We are coding in C++!

Jared

Well, for what it's worth I considered using .NET for Copy Boy. It would certainly be much faster to develop that way, and I could do some very nifty things. But I fear we're a year or too off from widespread-enough Framework installation to make that a feasable choice at the moment.

Mike Gunderloy

1) Why C# ?
Simple answer: Because _I_ like it.

2) Yes you would need the .NET framework.
(But really, it's going to be on your machine anyway, sooner or later...just watch)

3) For the features
Poor man's CityDesk? Yes, definitly, so far... for the 4 hrs. I spend on it...Let me get back to you on this in half a year.

4) I'm writing it because _I_ want to use it and _I_ have fun programming it.

Stephan
Thursday, April 04, 2002

But how are you extending CD?

Jared
Thursday, April 04, 2002

I'm sure C# is fun. Just don't want to download 20MB personally.

Jared
Thursday, April 04, 2002

You're not extending CityDesk. You've just stolen its database schema.

An extention to CityDesk would add on NEW functionality to the product.

The only thing you're doing is giving it a new UI. CityDesk already has a UI. Do you expect people to buy CityDesk, create a new site to get a database, and then use your interface to manipulate it?

If you're doing it to learn C#, then that's great. It's always a good idea to lean a new programming language by working through a pedagogical example.

However, if you're doing this because you think it solves a problem, then don't bother yourself. The problem has already been solved.

Ha!
Friday, April 05, 2002

I disagree that the "problem has been solved". Perhaps the most significant issues still with CityDesk revolve around its use of DHTMLed. I for one would love an editor replacement that generated proper XHTML. I'm just not motivated enough to do it myself (yet). :)

Brad Wilson
Saturday, April 06, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home