Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

BUG: Switch from HTML to Normal changes selection

I've recently added a sidebar to my template (  http://www.valleyofthegeeks.com/  ) and as I started editing the articles to add content for the sidebar I ran into a strange bug.

The content I'm adding to the sidebar field has formatting (usually just <UL> and <LI> tags).  Since the sidebar field does not allow for editing the formatting I've been using the main article editor and cutting and pasting the content from there.  In order to do this I go to the HTML View select the code and content, switch to Normal View then cut and paste into the sidebar field.  This worked fine for a bunch of articles and then I hit a strange bug.

When I select the following text ( the forum says not to use HTML tags here so I've pasted using [] instead of <> ):
--------------------------------
[UL type=circle]
[LI][A class=menuhead href="PTMFOG0000000347"]More Banner Ads We'd Like To See[/A][/LI][/UL]
--------------------------------

and switch to Normal View the editor gets confused as to which characters I selected. Switching back to the HTML view shows that I lose the UL, LI and A tag.  If I switch back and forth from HTML to Normal again I'll even lose some of the tags off the end.  By 'lose' I mean they are no longer selected, the text is still there.

The only thing that seems to help a little is if I have a P tag in front of the UL tag.  When I do that CD doesn't lose my leading tags but does lose the trailing A, LI and UL tags.

This does not seem to be related to the rest of the article as if I paste into a brand new article and try to select the text I get the same behavior.

I'd love to hear any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong.  I'd also like to hear from others who have had this problem (to confirm the issue).  I'd especially like to hear of other workarounds that will allow me to paste my content in the sidebar field the way I want to see it.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home