Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Next Previous Suggestions

I noticed that many people have tried to create a next/previous links in their articles. I was able to do it although the way I did it might not be the prettiest in town.

I used the extra1 and extra2 tags provided for an article.
I used extra1 as my previous and there I typed in the name of the page for the previous. I left it blank for the first page. I used extra2 as my next. Here is the code that I put in the template
<p>{$ if nonblank .extra1 $}<A href="{$.extra1$}">Previous</A>{$ endif $} {$ if nonblank .extra2 $}<A href="{$.extra2$}">Next</A>{$ endif $}</p>

This way, on the first and last page, the previous and next links don't show up.
Now that I think about it, it may have been easier to insert a link with the insert link button in these fields.

Would be nice if CityDesk had those variables next/previous and by default they would come up some way (maybe you could specify the default way somehow) and then you could modify it for each page making the trail whatever you felt like it.

On a somewhat similar topic, it would also be nice to be able to browse through the articles from the article editor.  I am finding that sometimes I want to ensure that formatting is consistent across articles (eg for variables) and that having to close, select and open is rather cumbersome.

S Marcotte
Sunday, March 31, 2002

That's a nice trick for Next and Previous.

The main reason that we haven't implemented a scripting way to do it is simply because it's a very complicated problem, and we haven't been able to figure out a general solution.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

As far as browsing through articles - would global search and replace get you at least part of what you want? Or an interface that let you browse the articles, but forced you to work in HTML view?

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

It would be very nice to browse articles without previewing.  As in FrontPage:  If you Ctrl-click on a link, you'll open the linked page.  Makes it very easy to see if you are linking to the right article and makes it easier to edit several articles at the same time.

tk
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

Mike,
I think they might mean browse as in a back and next arrow to go through all the articles, instead of having to open and close each article in its own window.. so one window would open with the articel in it, and if you hit the next area that window would then show the next article, etc...

Michael H. Pryor
Wednesday, April 03, 2002

Yep, I got that. Just trying to figure out what tools could be written from an external point of view that might help solve the problem. I can easily do an article browser -- but rendering anything other than the raw HTML would force me to deal with the DHTML edit control, and you guys are already having ENOUGH fun with that.

Mike Gunderloy
Wednesday, April 03, 2002

True, true.  The DHTMLEdit control is not worth the effort.. Although maybe a "preview" would work just as well.. Source is editable, Preview is web browser control...

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, April 04, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home