Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Very nice-

I have to say this is a great piece of software. Ever consider making it open sourced?

Did you write it on C++?

Becka
Sunday, March 31, 2002

Read all about it:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000009.html

tk
Sunday, March 31, 2002

I see it is done with VB maybe  a little C++ but is it available to open up in VB and see?

Becka
Sunday, March 31, 2002

I think the short answer is that you can't see the source.

tk
Sunday, March 31, 2002

I was hoping that would be possible because I program myself and I would like to add new features to be of a convenience to me..

Becka
Sunday, March 31, 2002

Fog Creek has discussed elsewhere that there are no plans to open the source of CityDesk. However, they have also mentioned the possibility of adding a documented external API in the future.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, March 31, 2002

1) Is there  a way for a user like me to program an add-in/or DLL or something to help personalize the program to fit my needs?

2) Is there any way to contribute these plug-ins if possible to be written to you and then you can possibly integrate them into your application?

3) I'm sure there were lots of features as mentioned in the article that got pulled from the first version,but what do you have planned for the second?

Becka
Sunday, March 31, 2002

You can't change CityDesk source, but it *is* possible to create third-party add-on applications. Mike Gunderloy has created a small app that implements a few handy features. Search for CopyBoy in this forum.

I don't have access to a full VB development kit, but I've done some simple things in Excel with the VB support it has (e.g. extract all of the articles as HTML files to a single directory).

If I had a way of compiling my pieces into a real executable, I'd share it, but since all I have is a few macros kludged together in an Excel file I don't think it will work very well...

Brian St. Pierre
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

We don't plan to open the source but we do plan to provide lots and lots of hooks and ways to extend things. But you have to tell us what you want to do so we know what hooks to add...

For example, we know that people want to be able to customize the publish locations. For example someone might want to write a snap-in that publishes using rdist, or scp, or FIDOnet, or WebDAV, in addition to the File Copy and FTP that we ship.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home