Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Mac support

Anyone know when CityDesk will be avail. for Mac? Love it, and I have Windows but my co-webmaster has Macintosh!

Becka
Sunday, March 31, 2002

CityDesk uses an Access database for storage. This means that it would be difficult for Fog Creek to port to the Mac, because Microsoft has never released a version of Access for the Mac.

Other users have reported success running CityDesk inside of a PC emulator on the Mac.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, March 31, 2002

Are there any similar types of databases on Mac?

Becka
Sunday, March 31, 2002

There are cross-platform open-source database products like MySQL that probably run on the Mac (especially OS X since it's based on BSD).

Brad Wilson
Monday, April 01, 2002

Well, yeah. There are lots of databases that run on the Mac. But the point is that it would require a complete rewrite of CD to use them.

I'm not Fog Creek, so this isn't an official pronouncement, but I'd say "don't hold your breath."

Mike Gunderloy
Monday, April 01, 2002

"are there similar DB on a mac"

There are two well known cross platform products, filemaker and 4D. These products will be brought to MacOS X and work on windows.

But both of them are proprietary and I can guess that for windows, these may not be the best primary choice for  a developpement like Citydesk.

Vincent Bénard
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home