Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk API?

So, im wondering if there are plans eventually for a CityDesk API. More exactly, I would like to eventually publish articles while im on the road (specifically from a Pocket PC).
Are there any plans to expose via some COM object, or API to add files to the CityDesk database, and, more importantly, the "Publish" functionality?

If so, I can imagine all sorts of cool "Publish Remote" web services, etc.

Anyways, just a thought.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve M
Saturday, March 30, 2002

The Fog Creek folks have mentioned the possibility of a future CD API in some past threads here. You can already do quite a bit by manipulating the Access database directly. For example, it would be easy to set things up so that you could add new articles from a PocketPC connection by talking to a COM server that then pushed them into the database.

The hitch is that there's no API for Publish yet.

Mike Gunderloy
Saturday, March 30, 2002

Publishing from a Pocket PC was something I found much more interesting in anticipation than in fact. After going through the `I can prove I can do it' phase (exactly twice), I found I gave up and _always_ depended on my laptop instead. While the keyboard on my Pocket PC was just fine, the limited `field of vision' was such a pain that it was always worth waiting---for me at least---until I had my hands on a decent machine and connection.

Like many other aspects of the `immediate access revolution' the only danger here is that you will actually get your way---then you are able to find out that you don't really want what you have been seeking so diligently. At least that's the way it was for me.

David Ness
Saturday, March 30, 2002

Mike - You mention manipulating the Access database directly -- this is one thought I had aswell. Is it pretty straightforward the layout? (I havent opened it up under access yet - is there documentation anywhere?). You echo'd my thoughts exactly, except I was thinking about having the Pocket PC talk over SOAP to the server, which would then manipluate the DB.
Of course, you are correct.. We just need a "Publish" API then.

Dave - Yeah, I agree, I typically use my laptop aswell-- even with that, i'd rather just use notepad, and push it up to my server rather than installing citydesk on both the laptop, the desktop, and have a shared db.

Steve M
Saturday, March 30, 2002

Yeah, the database layout isn't too hard to dope out. I've been poking at it myself (see the topic "CityDesk Add-on Utility" on this board). The only real trick is that article text is stored in OLE fields, which makes it a trifle hard to get out -- feel free to drop me a line if you need help with this.

Mike Gunderloy
Saturday, March 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home