Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Publish just DELETED files!

Ok I just published and it deleted files!!!!

We had a file on our server called downloads.html. Earlier today I had an article in CityDesk called downloads, but its been long since deleted. We also have a downloads article in Citydesk now but in a different folder.

WHY did CityDesk delete the one from the root?

And CityDesk does not seem to keep FTP logs anywhere why?

We also have another file called intraweb.html - and I have an article called intraweb but it WIPED out the intraweb.html and keeps publishing itself as intraweb-2.html. There is also a folder called intraweb and there was a template called intraweb (which Ive now renamed in an futile attempt)

Help!!!!

Chad Z. Hower
Wednesday, March 27, 2002

A known problem - see http://discuss.fogcreek.com/citydesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=2706&ixReplies=6 .

Chris John Jordan

Similar - why did CD delete a file it had NO reference to?

And why is it naming my file with -2? Because there is a directory by the same name? (no .html on the dir).

These are pretty serious issues.

Chad Z. Hower

CD had a reference to a file of its own of the same name as one of yours - IIUC CD doesn't notice preexisting files.

Chris John Jordan

"We had a file on our server called downloads.html. Earlier today I had an article in CityDesk called downloads, but its been long since deleted. We also have a downloads article in Citydesk now but in a different folder."

At some point earlier you published to that location while you had the article named downloads in CD.  At that time, CD wrote in the citydesk.xml file that it put on the server that you just published an article named downloads.html.  Later you deleted that article and then published again, so CD deleted the file on the server called downloads.html and updated the xml file to say that the file no longer exists.  This is the expected behaviour.

"We also have another file called intraweb.html - and I have an article called intraweb but it WIPED out the intraweb.html and keeps publishing itself as intraweb-2.html. There is also a folder called intraweb and there was a template called intraweb (which Ive now renamed in an futile attempt)"

If there is a folder called intraweb and an article called intraweb then the article will be named intraweb-2.  This is also the expected behaviour.  Since we don't rename folders, this HAS to be the behaviour.  Otherwise if you created the intraweb article first, and then the directory, we would have to rename the directory which is not the expected behaviour.

Michael H. Pryor

"If there is a folder called intraweb and an article called intraweb then the article will be named intraweb-2. This is also the expected behaviour. Since we don't rename folders, this HAS to be the behaviour. Otherwise if you created the intraweb article first, and then the directory, we would have to rename the directory which is not the expected behaviour. "

This is even worse than the first. Why the heck can you not have a folder named

foo
and a file called foo.html ?

This really needs to be fixed. Im sorry, thats nothing short of a very bad design flaw.

Chad Z. Hower

I understand your frustration.

I'm wracking my brain trying to explain it because I feel like there is a reason for this somewhere in the back of my head but I can't figure it out now.  Anyway, I'll add it to the feature list for the next version and if I remember the reason, or someone else reminds me, then I'll let you know and if not, then we'll change the behaviour.

It isn't consistent anyway because if you change the order of creation and create the article first, it won't let you create the folder (due to previous restrictions).

Michael H. Pryor

I can understand how it "evolved" to that point seeing how articles used to be treated.

However at this point we cannot even use it to handle our BASIC website because of something simple.

I was planning to buy a copy, but this is a major hang up. If this can be fixed I'll gladly purchase it.

All Im asking is for the ability to have a foo folder and a foo.html in the same folder.

Chad Z. Hower

I think CopyBoy will let you force the publishas name to whatever you want...

If not, just open the .cty file in Access2000 and change the publishAs column in the tblStructure table to whatever you like.

At this point, thats the only workaround until the next SP is shipped.

Michael Pryor

P.S. I don't know your particular publishing situation but why does the article have to be named the same as the folder?

Michael Pryor

1) CopyBoy? You mean publish locally then FTP up? Id like to avoid that.

2) The cty is a mdb right? Will CD honor my changes and not mess with them? Im ok with that.

3) Because its an existing website, and there are links from all over the place on other websites, and in documentation, etc...

Chad Z. Hower

CopyBoy is a program that Mike Gunderloy wrote that does some additional things outside of CityDesk by manipulating the .mdb file.

See http://www.larkware.com/Products/LarkwareCopyBoy.html

CD won't change the publish as name if you set it in the .mdb.  You can test it with the version you have.

Michael Pryor

CopyBoy isn't setting "publish as" names yet. But it will in the next version -- tonight or tomorrow, I hope.

Mike Gunderloy

1) CopyBoy is editing the wrong field - needs to do the one in tblStructure

2) Cant we have an option in CD to set this?

Chad Z. Hower
Friday, March 29, 2002

Ummmm....CopyBoy is editing the Publish As name field in tblStructure. I just tested this again and it's working fine for me. Make sure you're setting names in the second column on the "Publish Names" tab. If this isn't working for you, I'd love to have more details by e-mail, or right here.

And I assume that CD itself will swipe all of the useful features from CB in future releases. But until Fog Creek hires me, someone else will have to answer as to when that will be. :)

Mike Gunderloy
Friday, March 29, 2002

Michael,

I believe your brain wracking dillemma is answered in this thread:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=2494&ixReplies=3

Mark W
Friday, April 05, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home