Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

SP1 crashes

I can't use SP1 because when I open the software, the register dialog pops up then i crash right away.  The  message is "The instruction at '0x66069811' referenced memory at '0x01f39d7c'.  The memory could not be 'read'".  I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times with no luck.  Unfortunately, I overwrote the old install (which was working).  Any ideas?  Anyway I can get the original version back?

Frank Z
Wednesday, March 27, 2002

What OS version and IE version are you using?

Michael H. Pryor

windows 2000, ie 6.0

Frank Z

The register dialog is just a web page, so I suspect its IE crashing for some reason.  Can you reinstall IE 6 from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp ?

Michael H. Pryor

Nope. That didn't work either.  Keep in mind this happens right at the moment the dialog with the register comes up.  I don't even have a chance to respond.  For now, I've reverted to the old version.

Frank Z
Friday, March 29, 2002

I just dealt with another user having the same problem and the IE reinstall solved it.  The shdocvw.dll part of IE can become corrupted and no app that uses the web browser control will load correctly (even though you don't see the IE control it is still there! just invisible on that screen).

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, April 08, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home