Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Does 'Publish changed files' work?

Here it seems to just do the same as 'Publish all files'.

Chris John Jordan
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

All files which contain CityScript will still need to be parsed on publish, so if you have a .cty file full of articles, you won't notice much change during the generation of the publish articles, but during the ftp process, only those files that have changed will be ftp'd over.  Hence, it saves a lot of time on the ftp portion.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

There are a lot of threads on this. CityDesk downloads an XML file (citydesk.xml) from the server and checks the difference. So it creates all the files on your desktop, downloads the citydesk.xml, check which files have changed, and then FTP's or Copies the ones that are different. (phew)

If it can't find the citydesk.xml file then it will have to publish all the files, so be sure CityDesk knows the root folder of your site.

Second, there was bug in an earlier version of CityDesk that caused problems if you published an article from the little "save and publish" button.

Mark W
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

> So it creates all the files on your desktop

So I've noticed! :( Since with the Publishing Method as is File Copy, 'Publish changed files' never works, it would be best not to offer it.

Thanks.

Chris John Jordan
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

I'm not sure I understand that statement.

When publishing to a remote drive, it (likely, I can't verify this) only copies over the files that have changed.

CityDesk actually creates a version of your site in a temp directory, and then copies from there, not your 'desktop' per-se.

Mark W
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

> I'm not sure I understand that statement.

My suggestion was for Publish Method 'File Copy', not 'FTP'.

When I use the Publishing Method 'File Copy' (rather than FTP) and Publish option 'Publish changed files' (rather than 'Publish all files'), CD does 'Publish all files' (as file dates confirm) regardless. My suggestion is that when Publishing Method is 'File Copy' CD not offer 'Publish changed files'. Or better still, offer it and get it right.

Chris John Jordan (CityDesk 1.0.27, Win95B)
Wednesday, March 27, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home