Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

SP1 is better, can I lose the "published with"?

Great work on the service pack. 

But...

The "published with citydesk" comment at the
top of the pages is a bummer.  Can I turn it
off?  If not, can it be fixed to  show up later in
the doc (after the doctype element, say)?

Best,
  -=greg

Greg Wiley
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

I'm not completely sure, but when I look at my files I don't find that comment anymore. I guess it's only in the Starter Edition?

Stephan
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

No I see it to.. sometimes it appears and sometimes it doesn't and I haven't bothered to figure out what the difference is. Perhaps articles/files ?

Mark W
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

The comment is there so you can edit html files with IE by choosing Edit from the drop down menu in IE. 

Since the file you want to edit is not the same as the one you are looking at in IE (the one in IE is the generated copy after all the cityscript is evaluated, the one you want to edit is still in the .cty with the cityscript unparsed) there has to be a way to tie the two together so IE and CityDesk can open the right .cty file and the right article.  That's what the comment is used for.

Unfortunately this comment cannot be removed in 1.0.27.  It is only placed into files with .htm or .html extensions.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

Ah that was it. It probably didn't show up in my .shtml files.

Mark W
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

Yes, they only appear in HTML files (I think they've hard-coded a test for ".htm" and ".html" for the templates, if I had to guess, for when to output that comment).

My ASP.net pages don't show the comment, even though it would be perfectly legal to put one in there.

Brad Wilson
Thursday, March 28, 2002

Actually its not clear that it would be legal to put them in ASP.NET pages or any scripted page for that matter.

For example if you are setting cookies or other headers they may need to be the first thing outputted from the script.  If you put a comment at the top of the page the comment will start the HTML for the page, then the header info will come, which is incorrect.  And since we can't parse every conceivable script to find out where to put the comment, we can only insert it into .htm and .html pages.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, March 28, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home