Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New Version Problem?

I just installed version 1.0.27

If I do the following:
    Access an article
    Say `Save and Close' (not having modified anything)
    Tell City Desk to close

I get `Citydesk has caused an error in
        KERNEL32.DLL
        Citydesk will now close'

It happens consistently. Nothing else (major) is running at the same time. I am in WinME. Would
be happy to supply any further details.

David Ness
Monday, March 25, 2002

David,

What happens if you just start CityDesk and then close it?  Does it crash?

Have you restarted at least once?

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 25, 2002

Just Start and Close -> No Problem.

Restarted -> Yes, several times.

David Ness
Monday, March 25, 2002

Try this:

1. start citydesk
2. open a template
3. close citydesk

does it crash then?

or this:
1. start citydesk
2. hit preview
3. close citydesk

I'm basically trying to find out if in the first part the dhtml object is causing the crash - in which case, opening a template will cause it to crash on exit. 

If it does crash when you open a template and exit try reinstalling IE - that will update the component that is causing the crash..

Maybe its the .cty file?  Create a new blank site and open an article and then exit...

Also please post, OS version, IE version.

Thanks for your patience.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 25, 2002

1. start citydesk
2. open a template
3. close citydesk

does it crash then?  ===> No.

or this:
1. start citydesk
2. hit preview
3. close citydesk  ===> No.

Maybe its the .cty file? Create a new blank site and open an article and then exit...

That worked fine, but when I re-opened the new .cty, and just accessed the `Index' and closed it, closing City Disk caused the problem to reappear.

Also please post, OS version, IE version.

OS is WinME, IE is 5.50.

Thanks for your patience. ===>You're welcome.

David Ness
Monday, March 25, 2002

Does it only happen if the article window is open when you quit citydesk?

or does it crash if you just open the article, close the article, then quit citydesk?

does it crash after all the windows are gone or are there still windows on the screen when the GPF message comes up?

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 25, 2002

Does it only happen if the article window is open when you quit citydesk? ===>No.

or does it crash if you just open the article, close the article, then quit citydesk? ===> Yes

does it crash after all the windows are gone or are there still windows on the screen when the GPF message comes up?===> A little hard to tell. Mostly after the windows are gone, I think, but the little .ldb Icon is still around. Sequence seems to be c(1) close windows, (2) see message; (3) .ldb icon disappears...

David Ness
Monday, March 25, 2002

Not much data to add here...just wanted to mention that I'm seeing the same (or a very similar) problem that David is seeing.

Very frequently when exitting CD I get these errors also.  I get 2 dialog boxes each time.  One is the Kernel32 one, not sure what the other one is (I'm not at home right now to try it).  I'd say this happens every time with 1.0.27, and I believe I saw it a couple of times with 1.0.23.

Same config as David - WinME, IE 5.50.

Kyle Neet
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

I'm glad you both have the same configuration.  I'll set up a box here with that config and try to repro the problem and let you know how it proceeds.

Thanks again for your patience.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home