Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Congratulations

I've just discovered CityDesk and am delighted to find what looks like the birth of a genre the absense of which has been mystifying me for years!

I'll admit I find it very V1.0ish, but that's more than forgivable given the importance of getting people started IMO.

And web sites aside, HTML Help authoring should be much easier through CityDesk.

Congratulations to the team, and all the best for V2 - with an MDI option, please ;)

Chrisj John Jordan
Friday, March 22, 2002

For dummies,

could you explain MDI ?

Vincent Bénard
Saturday, March 23, 2002

Multiple Document Interface.

Here's the difference

Single Document Interface, like IE, each web page is a new window. Therefore it gets it's own item in the taskbar, and you can close one instance of IE without closing another.

Multiple Document Interface, like MS Word, each file is a sub-window inside the main one. Therefore there's only one item in the taskbar, and when you close Word, all of the files close as well.

Mark W
Saturday, March 23, 2002

I don't think they'll opt for MDI, because MDI is deprecated. Microsoft only uses MDI in rare instances now (mostly development tools, where the baseline user is much more tech savvy). (Almost?) all the major Office apps now operate in multi-SDI mode by default.

At least, if they offer MDI, I think it should be an option (defaulted off), not a change in default behavior.

Brad Wilson
Saturday, March 23, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home