Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Best way to convert site/newsletter to City Desk

I've been writing a print and online newsletter for the last 2 years. I have hundreds of articles contained in about 2 dozen newsletters on my website.

I have the newsletters in MS Word, HTML, and pdf formats

I want use City Desk to see if I can get some order to the articles and make it easier for people to find the articles on the website without having to read the whole newsletter.

Is there a faster method than just cutting and pasting each article? If not, is it better to cut and paste in Word or HTML?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron
Thursday, March 21, 2002

If there's any kind of regularity to the format of the articles that you are importing, you might be able to write a script or small program to do the importing.

We maintain a list of consultants who know how to do this kind of thing if you want to hire someone to help. Send email to citydesk@fogcreek.com for the list.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Thanks Joel,

I don't think I really have a pattern that can be used but I'll send an email to get the consultants.

If that doesn't work, then I assume it's cut and paste. If so which do you suggest, cutting and pasting from MS Word or HTML?

Thanks, Ron

Ron
Friday, March 22, 2002

Since DHTMLEdit, which CityDesk uses is a Microsoft Product, it seems to play very nicely with MS Word, or Internet Explorer, so cut/paste there would probably work. Just a lot of manual labor. UGH.

I agree with Joel, someone that could program a script to pull out the text that matches a certain criteria would be a real boon in this situation. Some sort of complex regular expression. (I wouldn't know where to begin, but I know it can be done.)

Getting stuff out of PDF format is going to be much more difficult, but I think you can find some shareware programs designed to convert PDF to plaintext.

Mark W
Friday, March 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home