Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Buglet

I might be picking nits, but...

If you go to the end of a word in the middle of a line of text (positioning the cursor before a space) and hit SHIFT+ENTER the line will break and that leading space will vanish.  Hit the space bar (or any another key) and it reappears.

No doubt only a user performing extensive reformatting would find this truly bothersome...

Guess what I'm doing.

(I'm getting the hang of using CD efficiently, though.  Kudos and many thanks.)

Derek Stibbard
Thursday, March 21, 2002

This is actually an HTML thing, HTML ignores "white space". I can put a thousand spaces between these words, and HTML would render it the same. It treats an infinite number of spaces the same as it treats one, and when you see multiple spaces on a web page, that's actually a bit of code that renders a space.

I can have a thousand spaces in front of this paragraph and it won't show up.

This is so I can code things in a way that makes sense to me without worrying that the layout will look like the code.

Mark W
Thursday, March 21, 2002

I realize that this is the case with HTML whitespace, but then the space should not reappear when I hit another key.

If you perform the actions I mentioned, the space disappears.  If you then switch to HTML View you'll see a whitespace and a &nbsp (IF you don't first move the cursor).  Switch back to Normal View and the space now appears.  Switch back to HTML View and only the &nbsp remains.

Switching back and forth several hundred more times has no discernable effect.

Derek Stibbard
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Derek wrote:
> that leading space will vanish. Hit the space bar ... and it reappears.

Sure. Ad flipping between Views can eat spaces /permanently/.

Mark wrote:
> This is actually an HTML thing,

No excuse - Derek's problem occurs in Normal View.

Chris John Jordan
Saturday, March 23, 2002

Another unfortunate side effect of using Microsoft's Internet Explorer DHTMLEdit ActiveX control...

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 25, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home