Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Image in sidebar: hspace ?

Inserting a jpg into the sidebar field of an article (left - text wraps) and then referencing it within the template simply using {$.sidebar$} results in an annoying

hspace=4

to be added to the final HTML page code. Annoying because it ruins the zero-indentation-left-alignment intended for that image.

Any way around that ? Thanks.

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Thursday, March 21, 2002

Insert the image in raw mode?

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, March 21, 2002

...sure, but then the text does not wrap.

Regards

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Friday, March 22, 2002

Insert the image into a body so you can manipulate it's properties and then cut/paste it into the extra1 field?

Mark W
Friday, March 22, 2002

Err.. Sidebar field.

Mark W
Friday, March 22, 2002

...thanks. I know how to work around it, but this is a customer site and they have no intention of fiddling around with properties. They want the simplest procedure conceivable for *anybody* in the company to use CD: e.g.

goto sidebar
insert image
choose left-text-wraps
enter description

Done.

Regards

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Friday, March 22, 2002

Swap the Body and Sidebar fields?

Put Image in Body
Change Properties
Select Template
Enter Description into Sidebar field.

Mark W
Friday, March 22, 2002

Not really as the body is where the main content of a page is edited, all the other "small" fields of an article don't work for that.

The question is why the hspace=4 is introduced in the first place and whether there is a hidden option to turn it off. As there might be an option to enforce attribute value enclosing in " for all attributes, i.e.

border="0" instead of border=0 (but thats a minor :-)

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Saturday, March 23, 2002

Another idea, but still probably not convenient enough for your customer: what I've done in my image gallery is to insert the FILENAME of the image I want to use in the extra1 field and then generate HTML img tags in the template to show the image. The major inconvenience is that I *should* copy the magic name into extra1, but out of laziness I usually just type in the filename (which risks broken links, and I have gotten caught on this).

Brian St. Pierre
Tuesday, April 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home