Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature request: access to never publish after

It would be nice to access the “never publish before” and “never publish after” date fields.  If they weren't checked, they’d be accessible to the “if blank” condition.

I was thinking of an article as an advertisement that would expire.  Displaying the never publish after date would tell the advertiser when his add expires.  Otherwise, he has to contact me, I have to open CityDesk, find and open the article, click on properties, and contact the owner to tell him.

To continue this example, I might do a script that produces articles that that expire “next month” so I can remind my advertisers to extend their ads.  Or I might want to find the articles I no longer publish.  More likely for me, I might just need to find articles that have bad dates.

tk
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

interesting idea!

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

It has one (weird) aspect, though -- if the article is not being published today, you can never find out the "never publish before/after" values... In other words, if you think you're going to be able to make a foreach loop that prints out a list of all articles and their date ranges, it won't quite work the way you intended because articles that are out of range won't be listed.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

Well for the time being, just showing when published articles expire would be good for me.  Maybe the "publish for" button can get at the otherwise unpublished articles somehow.

tk
Wednesday, March 20, 2002

Are the publishing dates available in the cty file (.mdb)?  If so, you could automate an email or a web page with this information for your customer

Joel Goldstick

Uh oh, maybe I need an interface to Quick Books.

tk

I just had a chance to look at the cty file.  In the tblArticleSet table there are two fields: dtRetired, dtEffective.  I know that Fog Creek has said here that they reserve the right to change the database structure, but as long as they don't change this table and those fields, you can use asp or other scripting tools to grab the dates.

Joel Goldstick

Or:

http://www.larkware.com/products/copyboy.exe

This is a VERY preliminary application that does ALMOST NOTHING. You WILL need the VB6 runtime, and the VB6 DataGrid control -- certainly those are on your machine if you've installed VB6, and I think if you've done a full Office install.

But assuming you can run it: fill in the name of your CityDesk file, or use the browse button to find it. Then click Open. The grid will then show you the headline, never publish before, and never publish after dates of every article in your CityDesk file that has at least one of those dates specified.

I don't have time for this...which probably means that there will be more along these lines from me fairly soon.

Mike Gunderloy
Friday, March 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home