Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Creating Tables in Normal View

I'm setting up a website for a school using CD so the non technical folks can take over the regular maintenance.

I've got the templates and scripts for the site working pretty well.  It is set up so they can just add articles to a News folder and CD will handle grabbing the most recent articles to build a 'News and Notes' page and loop through all the old articles to create a 'News Archives' page.

Now I need to 'train' someone on using the Normal View to create and edit articles.  They like to use tabular layouts for some of the elements and I'm trying to figure out how best to do that in CD.  You can see a sample, look at the Important Dates table, here:

http://www.curtis-es.pinellas.k12.fl.us/News/March182002.html

The people using this will be VERY non technical.  Switching to HTML mode is very scary for them.  :)

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.  Or other ways to achieve a tabular layout while working on articles in Normal View.

Rod Kratochwill
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

Tables are a real problem in CityDesk. I've been suggesting you copy/paste from MS Word. I think Netscape's editor is pretty good with tables, but it's been years since I've used it, so don't quote me on that.

You should be able to copy/paste back and forth.

Mark W
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

Rod,

I have the same problem with a client with a rental table.  I suggested he copy it from Word.  But now I think it would be simpler for everyone, in a table like this, to avoid a table altogether and do this instead:

Mar. 21 -Class Pictures

Mar. 22 -Walkathon

Mar. 25-29 -Spring Break/No School

April. 5 -Open Court

April. 9 -PTA MEETING 7:00 PM
            -Book Fair Begins -5:00 PM
            -Carrabba's Family Dinner Night

Anyone can do that.

tk
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

You can add a row, being that row an article, and calling it with a "for" sentence.

Here is a sample:

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=1>
{$foreach x in (all)$}
<TR>
<TD align=middle width="13%">{$setDateTimeFormat "English" "dd/MM/yyyy" "hh:mm"$}{$x.filedDate$}</FONT></SMALL></TD>
<TD width="87%">
{$x.body$}</TD></TR>
{$next$}
</TABLE>

I hope this help you.

Regards

Roberto
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

Has this been added to the FAQ? We've been down this road before.

Mark W
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home