Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

love city desk, but how do i...

i'm a newbie to web pages and html.  i've resisted web pages because i do not want to do html.

city desk is awesome.  i put together three interlinked pages in no time at all.

two problems:
1/ how do you get rid of the date?  altho a newbie, i did read the source code and look up the code for the date.  i tried numerous ways to delete it, but nothing changed.  where do i go to edit that out?

2/  i just have the starter download to check it out.  if i buy the other version, are there more templates???  i'm a pro at formatting pages in ms word or ms ppt, but a template saves soooo much time.

tia for any help you can give me!  donna

donna henley
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

Which date do you mean?

I think all versions of CityDesk have the same starter template.  There has been a lot a discussion about providing more of them.  We'll see them eventually.  Both Terry and Darren have some links to .cty files you can download.

tk
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

tk...that was a Fast answer!  thx a bunch.

i'm a happy camper now!  the date i was referring to is the one that appears below the "headline" of each article (page)............it's gone!  it was too easy!  if you don't put in a headline, there is no date!

now i have to learn some html to put in background colors and i'm set!

are there any templates floating around to be shared???  when i get to fiddling, i'd be happy to share any that i come up with.

i tried to link to terry's tips, but no luck...i'll try darren's tips next.

thanks........donna

donna henley
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

me again.  i meant to say that the link didn't work.

donna henley
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

The link works for me but this one has some links to .cty downloads.

http://tk-jk.net/city/Articles/fog0000000010.html

tk
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

The date you're looking for is something called {$.fileddate$} in the Simple template. You can delete it from there and it will never appear, if you still want headlines. The template is also set up to magically leave out the date and author if you leave out the headline.

To change background colors edit the "<BODY>" tag in the Simple Template to say something like <BODY BGCOLOR=PINK>

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

joel, thanks for the reminder!!  i was forgetting to go into the "master" to edit!  my draft is now all put together except for finding one more image to put into it!  this is fun.....donna who is still avoiding html.

donna henley
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

More proof that people would love to see "Out of the Box" templates for CityDesk... Something like NetObjects Fusion ::shudder:: but better.

Mark W
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home