Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New CityDesk Review

David Walker has just posted a CityDesk review on his web site:
http://www.shorewalker.com/pages/citydesk_review-1.html

This guy publishes a lot of articles about web content management systems (among other things), and I'm pretty sure he writes for some of the major Australian newspapers.

His analysis of CityDesk is very favourable. Interestingly, he recommends it as a low-risk entry point into the world of content management for small- and medium-sized organisations. His reasoning is that for a low cost, you get to experience what CMS is all about, and if you find that you outgrow CityDesk and want to move on to one of the big-iron systems (Vignette, Documentum, InterWoven, etc), you can easily migrate your data from the Access database into whatever the new system uses. So it's low-cost and it's future-proof. Perhaps there's a marketing angle there for you, Joel?

Darren Collins
Monday, March 18, 2002

Awesome review!

Joel Spolsky
Monday, March 18, 2002

I thought this *was* their marketing angle. All they need now is a marketing person.

Mark W
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

From the Review:

"CityDesk has flaws. It can't create valid XHTML. Its CSS capabilities are limited, its non-text media asset management sparse, its workflow management non-existent. If you want search functionality or feedback forms or discussion groups or other interactive functions, you'll have to set them up on your own."

While the rest may be true, I haven't had any problem using CD with CSS. What does he mean?

A.
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

It may mean that you can't edit your stylesheets "visualy" directly into CD , or that you can't associate styles to cityscripts palceholders (feature request for CD 2.0 ? ), for example.

Nothing very annoying if you know CSS syntax well. But people who are used to edit them in a visual environment like dreamweaver may see these points as limitations.

Vincent Bénard
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home