Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Problem with deleting files and publishing

I just upgraded to the SP1 and all the new features are work well!  Good Job!

I am having a problem when I delete an article from C.D. and then publish the article.  For some reason, my internet provider's server will not allow City desk to delete via ftp. It returns this error in City Desk: 550 Permission denied on server.

This causes city desk to stop publishing the rest of my site, which means that I cannot update once I deleted something.  I can delete the file on my web server using ws-ftp with no problem.  I read the article on the tech support page regarding debugging ftp problems and I tried to publish my site with passive mode off, but this will not work.

Is there a way through the DB file to tell City the file has been deleted off the web server?

I think that, if possible, City should continue to publish after receiving these types of errors?  Or at least give an option

Thanks for your help

Brian
Sunday, March 17, 2002

Use an FTP client to snag citydesk.xml from the root of your website. Remove the piece of it that references the file that's causing you trouble, and then put it back up on your server. Now publish. This should cause it to think the file isn't there.

Brad Wilson
Sunday, March 17, 2002

Wouldn't it be simpler to just go to the site via FTP and delete the citydesk.xml...then go back to CityDesk and republish the site?

Guy Bjerke
Sunday, March 17, 2002

All this has gotten me all confused again about CityDesk removing once-published-now-deleted files and folders.  You would never know for sure without an FTP program and even then, if you have bunch of FOG URLs you still might have a hard time.  So,

What does CityDesk really try to do as far as deleting files and folders that have been published?

tk
Sunday, March 17, 2002

Here's an observation... When I started using SP1, I let it rename all the files on my site to get rid of the fog0000... names. When I published, it deleted all the old files that were no longer valid (for a split second the publish dialog even said 'Deleting Files') and then uploaded the new ones. No problemo.

John C
Sunday, March 17, 2002

Here's the rule: CityDesk will only delete a file from the server if two conditions are met:
(1) the file is not published from CityDesk
(2) the file was put on the server by CityDesk in the first place.

The only way CityDesk knows if (2) is true is if the file appears in a manifest (citydesk.xml) file on the server.

So Guy is right -- if you delete citydesk.xml from the server, CityDesk will not try to delete files.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, March 18, 2002

Okay, thanks for everyone's help.  I got it to work.

Just a note if anyone else has this problem:
I deleted the citydesk.xml file from my provider, republished and it still did not work.  I had to completely exit city desk and then go back in and republish.  Then it worked.

Brian
Sunday, March 24, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home