Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

NitPicky Stuff

If I'm in CityDesk and the Publish window is open, and I click on "Publish" the window doesn't focus, provoking a "what the?" reaction from yours truly.

Mark W
Friday, March 15, 2002

There's no scroll bar or resize option in the publish dialogue box so it's harder to find errors in the site. I believe pre SP1 I had at least a scroll bar. Also it publishes with errors. I hit "publish" so I could find the errors (I deleted a page and wanted to know what other pages linked to it's "magic name."). If there are errors it shouldn't publish.

Mark W
Friday, March 15, 2002

There seems to be some debate as to whether we should publish if there are some errors. Some people thought it was outrageous that we would stop publishing just because one article somewhere had a little error in it, and I tend to agree with that...

The other things are wee bugs I'll add to the SP2 list...

Joel Spolsky
Friday, March 15, 2002

If there's some debate about it, perhaps you should do both.

"There were some errors, do you want to copy the files?"

Mark W
Friday, March 15, 2002

And a pref to say "yes" (or no) all the time would be handy too.

Maury Markowitz
Monday, March 18, 2002

"If there's some debate about it, perhaps you should do both."

Or not, because that's exactly what Joel talks about in his book: that most options in programs actually are there because the programmer couldn't decide. I agree with him that it's generally a bad thing to leave those decisions to the user.

Frederik Slijkerman
Tuesday, March 19, 2002

Okay.... So Windows should support only 800x600 arbitrarily, IE should have one level of security settings, MS Word should always print collated copies, etc.

Software should work the way I think, not the other way around, especially in a world where there are so many software programs. I don't want to re-learn everything for each program I use.

Mark W
Thursday, March 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home