Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Legacy Support

While I'm happy to see you have thought of the users with live sites that are updating their sites to the new service pack, is there any way to get an existing site to convert all the old links to the new style file names too?  I don't have a live site and hence no links to break, I'd rather migrate to having all my articles to the new style of links rather than have half and half.

Colin Newell
Friday, March 15, 2002

Just re-name all your articles and they'll be re-named. Right click on an article, go to Rename, and change the name however you want.

I also found that dropping them into a new folder changes the name, so you can drop them into a temporary folder and then back again, and this might go faster. (Is this correct?)

Mark W
Friday, March 15, 2002

I noticed the renaming articles idea after I posted, that solution doesn't cut it since I have too many articles to go through them all.  The moving to a folder does apear to work and seemed like a good idea, until I remembered that there apears to be no multiple selection when it comes to articles.  I even tried moving a folder in to a new folder to see if that would trigger the rename - no luck.  I guess this really is a wonderful example of the pitfalls of supporting legacy systems, necessary but painful.  I will hold off for now, I can wait to see if an better solution apears.  I won't end up with any more articles with the problem so if I do have to take the hard aproach the problem will not have grown.

Colin Newell
Saturday, March 16, 2002

I liked the old Fogxxxxxxxxx.xxx names. Can we have that as an option in SP1? I think the reason many people flipped out about the URL's is because they _aren't_ _really_ using CityDesk for content management.

Ryan
Saturday, March 16, 2002

It has more to do with not being able to have index.html as an article.  I could live with the fog names, it was the not being able to use the same template for my index.html that irked.

Colin Newell
Saturday, March 16, 2002

I've learned to love my fog URL's.  I'm a little concerned about accidentally renaming my old URL's.  As I understand it, I would have to rename a file twice the lose the old URL.

I'm building a new site now and I find that I'm putting parenthesis around the whole file name (except for the index file) so I can get the new fog URL's.  I'll eventually do some of both.

TK
Saturday, March 16, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home