Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

A good tip with sp1

a good thing made possible by SP1 improvements: "semi automation of redirected pages"

if you have an old static site in which folders, subfolders and filenames have become a mess. Of course, you could recreate it into citydesk, but it will be difficult to deal with that mess for building foreach loops. so you want to store your articles into a renewed and simpler folder structure.

you can create a template called redirection, which will look like that:

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url={$.body$}">
<meta name="robots" content="noindex">
<title>redirection vers {$.body$}</title>
</head>

<body>
<P align=center>&nbsp;</P>
<P align=center><A href="{$.body$}" >document redirigé / document moved </A></P>
</body>

</html>

create the old structure with articles which will have the old articles name (less than 25 chars: problem sometimes)
without the .html extention and use the template "redirection"

then copy and paste the "magic name"  (look like PTMFOG000016 ) of the "new file" in the "article" field in the "old" article. save and close

that's all. I've just tested it and it works. so if your old site doesn't exceed 100/200 pages, you can without too much toil build quickly a complete redirection scheme with one template.

Very cool. Only problem: I would have liked that "new url" filenames could handle more than 25 characters, because some of my older articles have up to a little more (about 30) , but it could be worse.

Sp1 is nice.

Vincent Bénard
Wednesday, March 13, 2002

WHERE is SP1? I dont see it anywhere on the download or other.

I'm looking at using CityDesk, but its TOTALLY unusable with with this FOGxxxx.html crap.

Chad Z. Hower

SP1 is released on March 15:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=2401&ixReplies=10

John C

Have I made a goof ? should I have kept it top secret ;-) ?

I am a (lucky) beta tester of the SP1, which will be released friday, if everything goes well.

so it explains why some people deal with their SP1 experince in the forum : it is the beta version of SP1.

Vincent Benard

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home