Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Good grief, the index.html is an article!

I'm one of the early SP1 guinea pigs.  It's better.  In fact, though I haven't tried much yet, I think that a few small changes have made it remarkably better.

But what shocked me most is the example site: The index.html file is an article that uses a template.  I kept asking myself, why doesn't the index file have .html, then I realized:  It's an article, stupid.

We knew it was coming; but seeing it for real is great and will save some of us a lot of template troubles.

This is going to be nice.

tk
Tuesday, March 12, 2002

Would any of the other beta testers care to share their thoughts on SP1 with the rest of us - the unwashed masses who have to wait until Friday?

Jason Awbrey
Tuesday, March 12, 2002

I'm not the one to uncover any subtle tricks but here are some observations.

1. When you open an old file with SP1 CityDesk says, "this is old, do you want to convert it?"  I said "sure" but I don't know what would happen if I said no.

2. On one of my sites I got script errors that I never got before.  The scripts were several levels deep, in fact they were script examples in the sidebar of an article. CityDesk never evaluated them before.  This didn't cause me a problem, I just fixed them.

I think the script errors actually point to a specific byte in the file that contains the error.  I don't know how to find a specific byte but you might.

3. It's nice to right click a picture and select properties.

4. It's nice to have your cursor stay put when you switch between normal and HTML views.

5. I find that I'm afraid of messing up my old fog### URL's.  Once I get over it, i won't look back.

6. The "Made with CityDesk" logo is included free.  : )

7.  The Fogfolks didn't include every single suggestion that has ever appeared in the forum but I'm sure they tried.

tk
Tuesday, March 12, 2002

The Logo is free?

Joel Goldstick
Tuesday, March 12, 2002

The logo is an image that come in the sample site.

tk
Tuesday, March 12, 2002

Although the improvements to SP1 seem to be limited in term of number of features/improvements, I may say that Citydesk is much more usable now than before.

a - The readable names are a huge improvement. Among others, one of the advantages they bring is easy recuperation of older sites, see:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=2456&ixReplies=2

b- The {$.abslink$} cityscript place holder makes it a snap to link from an article with a family template to another one (or from a laguage to another)

c- The ability to specify a number of days from a publish date, in a foreach loop, brings a lot of new abilities to site builders.

d- Variables may content city script or other variables without problem: so you can fully "variabilize" your templates, and so build easily maintainable "subtemplates" from one main template.

e- as said before in this thread, having the cursor keeping the memory of the place/the selection when you change from normal to HTML view and reverse brings an important productivity gain to site builders.

of course, there are two or three things still missing, but I'm very confident to see them in future releases. The FogDream Team seems to listen very carefuly to their customers.

Oh, just one more thing : Of course I'm playing with beta only for 2 couples of hours, but I experienced rigourously no crash with SP1 beta.

Just to summarize: SP1 is an important step beyond current 1.023 version.

Vincent Bénard
Wednesday, March 13, 2002

Awesome! Glad you like it.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, March 13, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home