Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Image Usability

A few thoughts from actual use on the Image interface...

First, the hard to fix one:  If you insert an image into an article and make a mistake on the settings there doesn't seem anyway to fix it short of dumping to HMTL view and correcting it yourself.

More subtle, but seemingly important issue:

When I am inserting a series of images, the dropdown tree-list doesn't "remember" the directory structures I've expanded.  So each time I have to re-drill-down to the place where the files are.  It always uses whatever the current expanded/not-exapanded state of teh CityDesk window has.

That last fact is important, because it means I can go there and set things up the way I want.  I don't think thats what one expects though.  With others I've had use the software, that light-bulb never went off and they just struggled through.

Second, the Alt tag is preloaded with "[Image]" which I find I have to constantly select and delete.  As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather just have it blank.  I keep forgetting to clear it, and because of item #1 up there, its tedious to correct from.

The last bit is simple usability for an image selector.... a way to see a preview of the images as your trying to select them.  I know it means a redesign, but come-on... wouldn't that obvious blooper make your book Joel?

People who use digital cameras, especially, tend to have long lists of files with names like DSCN2708.JPG, DSCN2709.JPG.  Even us power users sometimes!

David Whatley
Thursday, March 07, 2002

Well... I take part of that back... I read the new docks and apparently you can right-click and select properties to edit the settings for a picture. Yay!

I didnt' see that when I right-clicked on an image with the current version, so I assume its a new feature. :)

David Whatley
Friday, March 08, 2002

(err... new DOCS, not DOCKS....)

David Whatley
Friday, March 08, 2002

It'd be great if you could drag images from the folder view and drop them into an article to insert them.

It would be even better if you could drag them from Explorer (or another application) into an article, and have the image file be automatically copied into a folder titled 'Images' under the article's folder, as well as get inserted into the article.

Darren Collins
Friday, March 08, 2002

In the current version of CityDesk, whichever folder(s) you have open in the folder view remain open when open the insert picture dialogue.

Mark W
Friday, March 08, 2002

Dammit! I just found out that you can already drag pictures into a CityDesk article from Explorer! I'm sure I tried that before and it never worked. Maybe I tried it with a beta or something. I've wasted a lot of time doing this the long way! I feel like a fool.

For some reason, though, you can't drag from CityDesk's folder view to an article. That seems weird to me.

It'll be real cool when we can right-click on an image to update its properties!

Darren Collins
Friday, March 08, 2002

Mark, yes, that's true.  In fact I noted that in my post.  The problem is, thats not obvious (as I observed in my 'hallway' usability testing).

The behavior people seemed to want, and what I know I want, is that if I'm working on an article and I drill down, I'd like it to remember that.  Fortunately I can work around that in the meantime by changing it in the main view... but even I forget it sometimes.

David Whatley
Friday, March 08, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home