Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New site and its trouble with tables

Not a single word about computing on this site:

http://www.alligatorpoint.org/

The owner of this site has downloaded CityDesk as is planning to take it over and that gives me "trouble with tables."  The only thing he will update regularly is his vacancy/rate table.  He'll want toremove rows from the top and add rows to the bottom.  The article editor is just not up to it.

Any suggestions?

tk
Monday, March 04, 2002

Use the extra fields!

Your template would look something like this...

<table>
{$ foreach x in (folder "AvailableDates") SortBy .datefiled $}
<tr><td>{x.headline$}</td><td>{$x.extra1$}</td><td>{$x.extra2$}</td></tr>
{$next$}
</table>

then each article has its fileddate set to the order he wants it to appear (basically the first available date) and the extra1 is the renter, and the extra2 is the price.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 04, 2002

Huh. And I thought that this was some sort of web log, not a sales site. The panhandle can get pretty cold for Florida, but it sure beats New York in the winter!!

I have a few ideas, none of them are particularly attractive to me:

Articles:

{$foreach x in folder "dates" sort descendby .fileddate$}
<TR>
<TD>{$x.fileddate$}{$x.extra1$}</td>
<!-- extra 1 = holiday -->
<td>{$x.extra2$}</td>
<!-- extra 2 is the person the property is being renetd to -->
<td>{$x.sidebar$}</td>
<!-- sidebar is the rent for that week -->
</tr>
{$next$}

awkward and he'd have to remember what's what, but it could work. (feel free to change extra 1, extra 2, sidebar to author, body, or whatever you want).

2. copy/paste from word. I don't *know* that this would work, but something tells me it will... though depending on the author's word skills, the table may get sloppy.

3. regular HTML page and dreamweaver/netscape's editor/any editor (you wouldn't even need to give them CityDesk for this).

4. if this is the only page they'll be updating, perhaps a server based solution could work? static CSV file parsed by some sort of CGI or ASP, or even a CGI/web interface to a flat text file or database. Though I doubt this is an option.

5. become a slave to them and update the site yourself for the rest of your life

6. find out if they have any kids who can do it for them.

7. xml/xsl (okay, maybe not).

uh.. that's it for now.

Mark W
Monday, March 04, 2002

Actually, I considered that and it's an alternative.  But he already knows how to deal with a table in Word (another alternative).

Doing a separate article for each of 52 weeks, that he can't see together in a table until he previews and if he sees a mistake in the preview, he has to find, open, change and save the article -- well it's just an unnatural act for someone who knows how to deal with a table.

The best thing is probably to keep the table in Word and paste it into the article when he needs to change it.

On the other hand he might really like the separate article method.  We'll see.

tk
Monday, March 04, 2002

Tk - my dad has a rental property so i'm thinking in terms of  how he would use this.

my thought is that the only time you need to change stuff is when someone calls you and rents a week or drops a week, so you go in there and change the name for that week and publish.  You don't need to rewrite the whole table every time.  i think for this use scenario, it would actually be better to have everything separated out. 

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 04, 2002

At least there are several options.  I'm in the midst of building another rental site and this time I'll get to decide how to do it.

This came up in another site.  I was working on a "class of '72" alumni site.  They wanted a 3 column table: name, email,  link to survey response.  I convinced them that it would be easier to a have a line of text for each person and not even bother with a table.  Even if we could do WYSIWYG table management in CityDesk, they'd still have to muck around inserting rows.

I think it would really be easier to manage a rental calendar the same way.  There are some webservices  that provide free online rental calendars.  They are cute but pokey perfromers; but you get to see the little calendars all over the screen.  I'll skip that.

I think the over all idea is that once you train a person to maintain his/her own site, they might want to do more and more.  That's a good thing.

tk
Monday, March 04, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home