Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

error when doing a preview

Hello. I'm having a really strange bug here. I'm running win XP pro. When I try to do a preview of the site, I get the follwoing error:
V:1.0.23 Starter Edition Automation Error
ClassFactory cannot supply requested class: -2147221231
frmPublish: HandlePublishClick:1870

This is really strange because last week (when I was doing some tests with it) it was working ok. However, now it doesn't work (I think that this is a publish related problem). I've tried to resintall city desk, but have had no success with it. I've also tried to install on my laptop (which is also runnig Win XP Pro) but the problem remains.

Any clues on how to solve this?

TIA.

Luis Abreu
Monday, March 04, 2002

msxml3.dll is not installed properly.  Did you install any new software that might have messed with that dll?

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 04, 2002

I have installed MSXML4. Are there any known issues with it?

Luis Abreu
Monday, March 04, 2002

Installing MSXML4 should not have uninstalled msxml3.dll.  You need to keep the old xml dlls so all applications written that use those dll's will continue to work.

Did you install the MSXML4 technical preview? or did you just install the latest release?  Did you uninstall MSXML3?

I'll try to repro here, but you should run regsvr32 msxml3.dll and CD should work again.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 04, 2002

I think that the msxml3.dll is correctly installed. I've even tried to reinstall msxml and then reinstall city desk...the error still remains. I've also tried to remove it and then reinstall, but again, without any luck! what is really strange is that I've installed it on a pc which had just been formated ans the error still persists!

Any more clues on waht's wrong?

TIA.

Luis Abreu
Monday, March 04, 2002

Run 'regedit' and look at the value of this key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msxml2.DOMDocument\CLSID

Make sure it is "{F6D90F11-9C73-11D3-B32E-00C04F990BB4}"

Then check the value of this key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F6D90F11-9C73-11D3-B32E-00C04F990BB4}\InProcServer32

Make sure it is "%SystemRoot%\System32\msxml3.dll"

If either of those are incorrect, you need to reinstall msxml3 or reinstall CD.  You can also try running 'regsvr32 msxml3.dll'.

I tried to reproduce the problem on win2k sp2, installing CD, then installing MSXML4 and it works ok.  You sure you didn't uninstall msxml3?  Also if you are installing CD on a fresh windows install you might be getting a different error, but you shouldn't be getting any xml errors.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 04, 2002

Could not repro on Win XP either.  Check those registry settings and see what you come up with.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 04, 2002

Michael, thanks a lot. the problem was that i had this:
"%SystemRoot%\System32\msxml4.dll"

instead of this:

"%SystemRoot%\System32\msxml3.dll"

Once more, thanks for all your help!

Luis Abreu
Monday, March 04, 2002

Luis,

that has me worried a bit because msft shouldn't be mucking around with the progid's unless the new msxml4 is backwards compatible (which it obviously isn't).

I installed it today and had no problems... Did you do anything strange during install? or install a beta or a technical build?

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 04, 2002

Hello again Michael!

I've just checked, and I have the MSXML 4 Techonlogy Preview installed. Well, after going to the registry and changing the value of the key I've mentioned in my previous post, I have had no more problems. I've tried to reproduce the error, but have had no luck with it.

I've removed/installed MSXML4 but this time everything works ok.  Maybe this error only occurs when you install MSXML4 for the first time...

Let me thank you again for your help.

Regards.

Luis Abreu
Monday, March 04, 2002

Ahh!  Luis, on the MSXML4 download page, you missed this:

"Notices

Important notice: You must read this if you previously installed the April 2001 Technical Preview of MSXML 4.0. Because version-independent ProgIDs existed in the April release, but have been removed from MSXML 4.0, installing this release will make them non-functional. To avoid this, run the following two commands from the command line before installing this release.

regsvr32 /u msxml4.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll

This will restore version-independent ProgIDs to point to MSXML 3.0. It is important that you do this before installing this release. If you do not have regsvr32.exe on your computer, you can download it here."

If you had seen that, you wouldn't have had this problem...
You might run into more problems in the future because of this... You have to /u the technical build, then regsvr the msxml3.dll and then you can install the latest build and everything will be ok.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 04, 2002

yep, I did miss that! sorry....

Regards.

Luis Abreu
Tuesday, March 05, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home