Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Mind annoyance: Article Name, Headline, File Name

Someone pointed out to me that I had duplicated a headline on my site. I copied the article, and renamed the article. I had expected the headline to change with it. Then I went in and changed the conditions, loops and some of the stuff in the body. Though I know this isn't the way CityDesk behaves, the unthinking part of me, the part that's usually in control, thought they were one and the same.

When I published the site, the headline was duplicated. I hadn't noticed. I had expected it to change when I changed the article name. Since the headline was based on the article name, I expected it to change when the article name changed. UGH.

Perhaps if the headline box was located on the same screen as the body edit box I wouldn't make this mistake. This way it'd be right there for me and I'd be more likely to notice it.

A traditional web-based editor would have everything on the same page - no tabs, with lots of scrolling. This way I'd have to at least glance at every piece before hitting submit.

Just some considerations. I can only imagine what might happen if the publish-as filename were independantly controllable too! Every page on my site would have the same headline and filename!

Mark W
Sunday, March 03, 2002

That's supposed to be "Mild annoyance" apparently I can't get headlines right here either!

Mark W
Sunday, March 03, 2002

I am of the same mind on this.  I made similar mistakes.  For instance, someone pointed out that a headline had a typo in it.  I fixed it in the article name and published... and of course that fixed nothing!

David Whatley
Sunday, March 03, 2002

You've probably seen this:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1821&ixReplies=0

It doesn't solve the problem but it helps.

If y'all know how to list the magic names too, that would be nice.

tk
Sunday, March 03, 2002

Lol. Thanks TK. That would presuppose I actually look at that thing except when absoutely necessary. I would hate to have to look at that thing *every* time I made a minor update to my site.

Mark W
Monday, March 04, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home