Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Site Deployed

Welp, I finally rolled out the redesign of my site using CityDesk. You can see it at: www.gasa.net

If you use the nav links the top you'll see some oddball urls showing up.  Like: "http://www.gasa.net/../default.asp".  This is a sideeffect of using server-side includes and the magicnames that I mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure if my comment on this was taken seriously... but it is a problem.  Not sure if it qualifies as a "bug" persay.  Ideally I'd like to find out I'm just being a doof and doing something wrong!

David Whatley
Saturday, March 02, 2002

I have a question that might help me help you.

How would you edit these server side includes in Dreamweaver if you weren't using CityDesk? Any /folder/image.gif link wouldn't show up either way.

Mark W
Sunday, March 03, 2002

I'm not sure I follow your question.  We use SSI like crazy on my work site (http://www.play.net) and have no trouble with DreamWeaver properly handeling them.

In CityDesk I have to prepend a / in front of magicname href's found in SSIs.  This is creating a bizzare referencing problem, as you can see when you look at the site and use the links in the header or footer.  And of course it doesn't edit well in DreamWeaver (I can live with that for now).

David Whatley
Sunday, March 03, 2002

When you're coding a Server Side Include, you already have to be careful that the links within the server side include reflect site structure of the files they'll be pulled into.

Using .ssi as a server side include, take the following site structure:

/sitestuff/header.ssi
/pages/index.shtml
/pages/articles/news.shtml
/images/image.gif

A link created in header.ssi normally would look like "../image.gif" and would work in index.shtml, but not news.shtml. All .shtml files would have to be one level deep.

This is identical to magic name in CityDesk:

"(magicname)" would become "../image.gif" in the SSI and would remain that way in the SHTML files that referenced it.

right? Perhaps I'm just not following your problem.

I do agree that magicname is mildly annoying. Let's say I'm editing a an html page in Dreamweaver and want to add an image using magicname - how do I do it? CityDesk only adds the files that already exist in that file. I have to add the magic name by going into CityDesk, saving the file, and then re-opening it in Dreamweaver so that the image appears and I can edit the height/width, image maps, etc.

Mark W
Sunday, March 03, 2002

Mark is right on this one.  Don't use magic names.  Use the ABSOLUTE url just like you would in dreamweaver.  The "magic name" is superfluous in this situation and shouldn't be used.

Michael H. Pryor
Sunday, March 03, 2002

Don't use the magic name?  I hadn't considered that.  I think I see my problem tho... it's because the SSIs are in a subdirectory.  I moved them there for organizational purposes.  I'll move them down to the root and see if that cleans up the URLs.

Thanks!

And yes, I agree about the other issues related to magicnames.  I hate having to switch to the built-in editor to insert an image.

David Whatley
Sunday, March 03, 2002

Question to Fog Creek:

When you right click / edit with, does CityDesk create a duplicate of the whole site? I don't think so. How would you create a link to an image using an absolute URL if it doesn't appear in a folder?

Mark W
Sunday, March 03, 2002

DW, do you want the title of your home page to be "Site Index"?

George Illes
Monday, March 04, 2002

Well acutally, no.  The messed up page titles are another rough edge I gotta smooth out. :)

David Whatley
Monday, March 04, 2002

Okay, I smoothed out the include links and, for the most part, the missing page names.  www.gasa.net is much cleaner now.  Thanks for the feedback. :)

David Whatley
Tuesday, March 05, 2002

About page titles: I create my page titles in the template like this:
<TITLE>{$.siteName$} - {$.headline$}</TITLE>
Or it could be only {$.headline$}
This way, I never have to worry about page titles because they are generated automatically, and they are consistent with the text of my links because I use {$.headline$} as links too.

Paul Iliano
Tuesday, March 05, 2002

Doing page titles with variables is one of the true delights of CityDesk.

tk
Tuesday, March 05, 2002

Yeah, I'll move to that as well.... adding it to my todo list. :)

David Whatley
Wednesday, March 06, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home