Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Out Of Memory Error

I installed CD, (trial version), however, I receive an "out of memory" error.  I have 128mb of memory, and no other program has reported this.

Jeff Tissue
Wednesday, February 27, 2002

What are you doing when you get the message?

Joel Spolsky

I'm simply trying to open the same article(s), and html(s) that come with the program.  I can't even get started here.  I have tried re-downloading, re-installing, and running scandisk and defrag before I installed or re-installed.  Very strange problem.

Jeff Tissue

It could be a corrupted VB runtime or a corrupted IE install.  Can you post the exact title and message that appears in the error window and the titles of any other citydesk windows that you may see?

If you can open the CityDesk app and get to the main window (and choose view->templates and you see that dialog) but you can't open articles/templates/html files, then its definitely an Internet Explorer configuration problem (since those windows use IE and the others don't).

What version of Internet Explorer do you have? And also what OS are you using?

Michael H. Pryor

I have re-installed Ie6, took it back to IE5x, tried that - nothing.  went to microsoft, downloaded VB6.  Nothing works.  I still get the prompt to send the error.  Which I have done -2 or 3 times.

Jeff Tissue
Thursday, February 28, 2002

I've tracked down the error to a line that calls DragAcceptFiles which is a windows API call.  Most likely the dll that implements that call on your system is corrupted somehow (shell32.dll I believe).
I think the only way to update it is to upgrade to 98 second edition or to reinstall the os (not fun).
Also, check the version info on shell32.dll.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, February 28, 2002

I replaced Shell32.dll from DOS, but that didn't work either.  I was already using Win98se, so I re-installed windows, and it worked.  Thank You Very Much for your help.  Now I will go ahead and upgrade to the Standard Edition.  Thanks Again.

Jeff Tissue
Friday, March 01, 2002

Excellent.  Sorry about that, but its somewhat out of our control.

I hate when tech support people tell you that you need to reinstall your OS, but sometimes it actually is necessary.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, March 01, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home