Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Identifying a User's `Audience'

I think I understand what `Audience' means in terms of how articles are stored. What is unclear to me, however, is how you `recognize' what audience a particular user is a member of in your INDEX.HTML so that you can establish what files should be included in the display.

A pointer or some coding samples to get me started trying to understand this would be helpful.

David Ness
Tuesday, February 26, 2002

Naming articles won't be a problem much longer and may help you with your problem 2 as well.

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=2133&ixReplies=26

On your previous post, I've learned to do Ctrl-A to "select All" in CityDesk.  But, I'm looking forward to more familiar and consistant editing methods in the future.

TK

Audience controls publication for the whole site.

This does get kinda confusing. I'll tell you how I use it and it might help you.

I created two audiences "live" and "preview." I upload the "live" version of the site to my server, and put the "preview" version on my hard drive.

Now when I create an article, and I don't want it to go live, I switch the audience from "(Everyone)" to "preview."

This way it doesn't get published to the "live" site, but does get published to the "preview" site. The "(Everyone)" articles go to both places.

Does this help at all?

Mark W

`Naming Articles' wasn't (I think) my problem. And ctrl-A is fine, if you're used to it. I happen to be used to right-click, and just want the same options available everywhere (pretty much) not present some places and absent others.

Thanks for the clarification on `audience'. I think it just ends up by meaning that `audience' isn't a useful concept for me. I handle my `preview' problem by having a `Preview' folder associated with the site that isn't `published' at all, but all of the articles in `Preview' can clearly be edited and previewed (by me) to my hearts content, without them ever appearing to the outside world.

What I want, and it may be essentially unobtainable under CD, is some way to distinguish what some people will see from what others will see on my real web site. I don't much care _how_ I distinguish readers (they can have a password, or identify themselves somehow). I would be happy to do it any way I can.

David Ness

Well, this is what audience is for. You create one site for, say "employees" and one for "external."

I did the same - one with articles that i haven't finished, and one for the server.

Sorry if my example confuse you even more.

What audience allows you to do is publish completely seperate iterations of your site for different audiences - publish the one for "john" publish the one for "mary."

The problem with audience is that you can only select one audience per article, so you can't say "for john and mary but not jim."

Mark W

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home