Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

`Serializing' a CD DataBase

Has anyone written an Access `routine' to dump all of a  CD DataBase out as Text, and then turn around and reload it back in to re-create the CD DataBase from the text form? I would find such a process very useful, but I'm afraid I don't know enough Access to do it myself.

David Ness
Friday, February 22, 2002

Do-able, but why would you want it? (Just curious, mostly)

Mike Gunderloy

Sounds like it might be useful if you want to check your CityDesk site into a source control system, and get meaningful diffs.

An ideal format would be some kind of XML with CDATA's for the articles.

Joel Spolsky

To respond to Mike's Why? question.

There are `a thousand' reasons, but I'll only mention a few:
  (1) Long term Archive. I learned long ago that archiving stuff in _any_ internal format will eventually mean you lose it. My ASCII files from the middle 1960's are still readable, but stuff stored in internal structures has long since been lost;
  (2) Change Tracking;
  (3) I keep my `articles' in a very simple ASCII oriented language, and then process them into form for inclusion in CD. This means that now I cut out the old version and then paste in the new version. I'd rather `build' all the documents outside CD and then be able include them en masse;
  (4) Alternative spell checking---or other forms of processing---on the text in the articles (concordances, indexes, ...)

David Ness
Monday, February 25, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home