Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Is it possible?

1. I'm noticing some extraneous &nbsp; embedded in my articles. It seems they are inserted into the article on a <space><bksp> entry. These entries occur during the normal process of writing, but I may not want the HTML characters because it has a tendency to throw off the formatting of the page. Is it possible to toggle these on/off or control when they're added?

2. I use a looping construct to build an index page of all my articles. I typically use one article to publish several "mini posts" to a particular site (like a weblog). However, the looping construct only grabs the title, teaser, or other CD construct. Is it possible to create a CD construct the equivalent of a bookmark? That way I could also loop for all the bookmarks when I build my index page.

3. Great product!

Duncan Fitzgerald
Friday, February 22, 2002

Here is how:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1349&ixReplies=7

TK

That's pretty close to what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

Duncan Fitzgerald

Something tells me that the various knowledge repositories either aren't robust enough, or aren't getting enough traffic. Perhaps they should be included in the leftnav here.

Mark W

Now that I've actually tried the above suggestion, it appears you're using "extra1" as the bookmark. This works fine if you only want to bookmark the entire file (article). But my article will have several bookmarks pointing to different spots in the same article. As far as I can tell, the "extra1" field appears to be a surrogate bookmark. I'm actually inputting the <a name="yadda"></a> HTML inside the article myself, and need a way to extract these during a loop. Any thoughts?

BTW (re the KB note above), I usally make a point to scan through the discussion group first but didn't see anything (at first glance) similar to my desired solution.

Also, anyone with thoughts on the &nbsp; phantom characters and where they come from? Thanks.

Duncan Fitzgerald

Lot of talk about spaces here.

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1320&ixReplies=11

If I do "inside" bookmarks on a mostly static page, I copy the HTML into FrontPage, do the bookmarks and copy the HTML back into CityDesk.

If the page that needs bookmarks changes much, you might have to "think in CityDesk" and use separate if small articles to manage the bookmarked items.  The separate articles might give you the flexibility to present them in ways you didn't at first suspect.

TK

I don't think the search feature works particularly well. I can never find anything I need using it.

CityDesk uses the built-in Microsoft HTML editor that comes with IE 5.5 (hence the need to have IE 5.5 to use CityDesk). Any problems you have will be related to that. I think Fog Creek will be rolling their own. I believe the quote is along the lines of "Since there are companies whose only product is an HTML editor, and it's secondary to what we do, we decided to use one that was readily available rather than building our own." I think they may have said something about one day maybe building their own.

Is Search in this group "Or" by default? Adding more words seems to turn up more posts rather than less.

Mark W

I have to say, wow you guys are fast. There are already left nav links!

Mark W

as for searching in the discussion groups ... it's currently terrible because it's relying on SQL Server full text search and we haven't had time to improve it. SP1 is a higher priority right now!

Michael added a few links on the left; Terry has done an excellent job of keeping links to all the really useful discussion topics.

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home