Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

It could have been easier

I’m helping some friends with a website.  It was 24000 words and 18 giant 200,000+ byte jpg’s all in one giant page.  I didn’t know about the giant images but I wondered why it was taking so long to import.  Not paying any attention, I chopped the original site into several pages and republished (why is it taking so long?) before finding out about the huge files.

What I thought would be quick and dirty turned into a chore.  This would have made it easier:

1. If the undo worked reliably.
2. If I could right click on a picture in an article and open it in an image editor.
3. If I could “save-as” my shrunken jpgs back into CityDesk without overlaying the giant jpg’s I started with.
4. If I could right click the picture and resize it, change to img location, change the link.
5. If I could paste a picture from the clipboard.
6. If I could with tables in the editor.
7. If it read my mind.

An old cliche: It was real; it was fun; but it wasn't real fun.

Tips and advice welcome.

tk
Tuesday, February 19, 2002

Just a quick tip:

To create thumbnails of images, I copy and paste them in CityDesk and rename them "<filename>-thumb.jpg". Then you can double-click on the new image, resize it, and save it back over itself in CityDesk. This way you don't have to save to disk and import the new thumbnail image back in.

Darren Collins

Thanks Darren, that helps.

TK

Really? Rightclick / Open with Built in Pickture Editor shows you the picture, and Rightclick / Open with / (your editor here) works as well. If I'm not mistaken (I might be, I do these things on autopilot), it opens up the file in my image editor and when I save, the changes reflect in CityDesk.

What I would like to see is a Windows Explorer-esque "View Details" view that shows you the file size (where appropriate - article size is impossible to predict, and may have multiple values based on templates), type (Article, Image, etc.), date modified, etc.

Mark W

What I mean is that while in the article editor's normal view, being able to open a picture in my favorite editor, or find the file name, or magic name, or properties, or edit the properties. or whatever.

In my mostly "non-zone" work mode:  I am editing an article in normal mode; I want to change one of the pictures; I'm not sure about the filename or magic name.  So I end up previewing the site in order to view the properties of the image and so I can figure out which file I need to edit from the Design View.

I'll plan all of this better next time.

tk

Ah. You're right.

Clicking on a link and then clicking on the link icon gives you the link information (so you can change it, presumably, but also it's good to be able to just view it). Clicking on the image icon should also give you the information for the highlighted image. You can't even change the ALT tag once you've put an image into CityDesk without going into the code. And going into the code only gives you the magic name, not the file that it links to.

Matching a file in CityDesk to an image in an article is indeed a pain.

Mark W

Here is the site so far, more work to do:

http://tk-jk.net/katesdream/

tk

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home