Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk Automation

Perhaps this thought might be an overkill but the coder in me can't stop thinking about automating CD.  Something like a COM Object Model would be sweet!  But I do understand that this may not be in the big picture view of where CD is going.

Richard Caetano
Thursday, February 14, 2002

Given the Access backing of CD, of course, some of that would be trivial. For example, anyone could write a COM object named Stories that presented a collection of Story objects that corresponded to the items in the CD tree. You could add, delete, edit items that way if you wanted to. But the core publish/preview functionality is in the CD code, and that isn't exposed (at least, I think it isn't).

So the question is, what would you want a COM automation model for CD to DO?

Mike Gunderloy
Monday, February 18, 2002

You've read my mind completely!  Basically I would like to use CityDesk on a server.  Here's my concept of it:

http://richard.caetano.com/private/fog0000000028.html

Richard Caetano
Tuesday, February 19, 2002

Hmm. And then they would charge thousands of dollars for it, and it would be the same as Interwoven or e-Grail or Vignette or one of the other big players (okay, e-Grail isn't that big). How would they distinguish themselves from the others?

The great thing about CityDesk is that it does what it does on a client machine, and for around $350 a license with no server or server license. The reason you're getting all these grandiose ideas about CityDesk is because they've put that power in your hands. For once you have the potential to do some really great things on your desktop without spending tons of money or endless person-hours configuring, or both.

So sure, they could make CityDesk a big server thing, but personally, I don't see the point. There already are tools that do that.

Mark W

I understand what you're saying here but I wasn't invisioning a huge server software product.  Just by exposing a few features to something like VBScript would be killer.  It was just an idea that I saw potiential in. 

Richard Caetano

The nice thing about this would be to turn CD into a publish-from-anywhere engine. If we had a CityDesk.Publish method that we could call via an API, this could be implemented today.

Mike Gunderloy

One thing I'd love to do is to be able to let people enter articles into CityDesk via a web interface for immediate publication on the site. Also, if you could reliably enter an article with a "Do Not Publish Before' date and have it publish w/o user intervention on that day...

On the other hand, we could code something that does that with CGI and a Database. A lot less flexible & more difficult to set up than CityDesk perhaps, but if what we really wanted was a sever-based tool...

I see it this way: On the scale of ease of use<-> full featured server based tool, I'd rather they lean towards ease of use. On the other hand, if they could do both, that would be truly great. Of course they'd have to keep their client based functionality as well. I guess if Frontier could do it, CityDesk could too.

Mark W
Wednesday, February 20, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home